Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: Iran oil profits could dry up by 2015

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    What the **** is going on? Is it truly simply a case of loss of foreign investment? Why can't Iran manage to effectively exploit its reserves? What are they thinking, ****ing with something as important to their economy as the oil industry is? Does anybody have any insight on this? The article is sorely lacking in details on this aspect of the story.
    I don't think it's foreign investment per se, but rather the technical expertise that some of the foreign investment brings (sometimes foreign investment is used interchangeably with foreign private investment from the majors, but this is misleading). The oil business has become increasingly complex from an engineering standpoint as they seek to maximize field production and as they continue to drill in fields under high pressure and extreme depths.

If we take a look at Saudi Arabia as the anti-Iran, then we can see that the Saudis use the expertise of the major oil companies while keeping them under their thumb. Russia is trying to do this as well, but I note that as Putin tried to bring the private investment and foreign private investment to heel, Russian oil production suffered. Russia would be producing a lot more oil nowadays, if it let companies like Yukos continue doing business. Yukos was trying to professionalize its operations -- both from an engineering and financial perspective -- by importing talent from Houston, which seemed to particularly incense Putin.

Overall, while I readily admit that some government-run operations are more efficient than others (compare the Venezuelan oil industry before Chavez to Iran's oil industry, f.e.), private industry will as a rule be more efficient than government-run institutions. And unregulated private industry will as a rule be more efficient than regulated private industry. A 25% decrease in efficiency of the government-run industry versus privately-run industry actually seems like not that big of a drop. So I suspect that the implied inefficiency is much greater.

In aerospace, another technical area with which I am familiar, the difference is much greater -- up to a 90% decrease in cost/price of space launch for US government versus private partially regulated. The US government versus Russian government is some 50%-75% decrease in cost/price. The US government space launch industry is a real white elephant.
    Last edited by DanS; December 29, 2006, 17:15.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Iran has enormous natural gas reserves (#2 in the world). Natural gas is good for powering electricity generating turbines. Over the last several years, the U.S. has been adding natural gas turbines to its capacity hand-over-fist -- for us it is the cheapest method, and we have the #7 gas reserves. So we know full well that the nuke electricity issue for Iran is totally bogus.
      And despite that Iran is currently a net importer of natural gas.....just.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I would guess that's mostly a transportation issue. It takes big iron to transport natural gas by ship and savvy diplomacy to transport it by land. Iran has neither.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

BTW the US government's space launch industry isn't that competitive for the EXACT same reason that Iran & Venezuela's oil industry isn't as competitive (meaning as efficent and productive). Namely political sabotage. Iran and Venezuela are diverting funds to other programs because they really need to where as NASA's budget has been repeatedly savaged and the agency set up to fail due to the ignorance, stupidity, and rank politic ideology of the formerly Republican controlled Congress. Yes, NASA didn't get themoney for newer more efficent rocket designs primarially because Republicans were to ideological and short sighted to have our nation invest in that area.

China realizes the importance of its space program and so it invests in it. The EU realizes the importance of the space program and invests in it. The Republicans deliberately sabotaged the Amerian space industry just so they could say "see, I told you it wouldn't work". The reality is this is political incompetance just like the administration's Katrina response. We simply have a completely unprofessionalized political system which is both ready and willing to sacrific vital national assets (like NASA) for their short term political gain.

The spoils system which allows pieces of **** like "brownie" to be put in charge of organizations which they are manufestly unqualified to run is the main problem. Reform the politicial appointment process to depolitize and professionalize things. That won't stop the problem of ideological elected officials sabotuaging things but it will help it slow them down.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            BTW the US government's space launch industry isn't that competitive for the EXACT same reason that Iran & Venezuela's oil industry isn't as competitive... Namely political sabotage.

Utter horse****.

Comment

True as can be. Lack of intestment into more efficent rockets. Sure, the over head also contributes but other countries have newer rockets designed for one specific job where as NASA does not. The private companies have designed newer rockets however they've had trouble paying for insurence. NASA doesn't have that problem.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Sure, the over head also contributes but other countries have newer rockets designed for one specific job where as NASA does not.
                From your ass to my eyes. The order to design the R-7 family (of which Soyuz is a member) was signed December 4, 1950.

Comment

Nobody mentioned that Iran may be running out of oil and their reserve numbers are just bunk.

If Saudis need horizontally drilling technology in Ghawar, it tells you how mature their fields are.

Comment

Nobody mentioned that Iran may be running out of oil and their reserve numbers are just bunk.

I see no reason to think that they are.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                    X