Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What defence do we have against politically-motivated scientists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What defence do we have against politically-motivated scientists?

Given that a lot of our policies these days are dictated by scientists and "experts", how do we defend our societies against the chances that their science (either unable to be understood by or hidden from the layman/voter) is distorted by their political motivations?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

We must reject them, and run back into the warm deliverance of the Lord Jesus Christ
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: What defence do we have against politically-motivated scientists?

Originally posted by Park Avenue
      Given that a lot of our policies these days are dictated by scientists and "experts", how do we defend our societies against the chances that their science (either unable to be understood by or hidden from the layman/voter) is distorted by their political motivations?
      We should become know-nothings, as you obviously have.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Park Avenue you're our only hope! Save us from the smart people!
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

THis is quite a serious question, and I'm surprised by the responses so far.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I presume you're referring to the "scientists" who "conduct" Creationist or ID "research".

To be frank, I have no idea how to deal with them.

Comment

I think he's referring to scientists who support the global warming theory.

They are all a bunch of commies who want everyone to be poor and not enjoy the quality of life we enjoy today.

Comment

This isn't about the actual politics supported by the scientists, but about making sure their research is neutral in terms of policy.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

scientists don't actually make policty.

So I don't see what you are worried about. Politicians make policy. And some politicians choose to follow the advice from bad scientists. Some base it off of junk science. Remember the ban on silocone breast implants was based off of junk science. But junk science isn't really the scientists fault, but the lawyers who want to get rich off of lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    scientists don't actually make policty.

So I don't see what you are worried about. Politicians make policy. And some politicians choose to follow the advice from bad scientists. Some base it off of junk science. Remember the ban on silocone breast implants was based off of junk science. But junk science isn't really the scientists fault, but the lawyers who want to get rich off of lawsuits.
                    My worry is that in our "enlightened" society, we are giving scientists and supposed experts too much power to affect policy and law, because after all, they're the scientists, and they know more than us.

Power, and all that...
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What defence do we have against politically-motivated politicians?
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        The Republican Party.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                          Voters.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Blah

Comment

What defense do we have against scientifically-motivated scientists and politicians? Those are the people who actually manage to change society .
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                              X