X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeH
    Worth 10 years in prison?!
    Heh. Well, she was older.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
      That's all well and good except the prosecutor in this case is a monster. He is taking the letter of the law and using it to destroy the intent of the law. There is no justice in this verdict. He is attempting to further his own poltical career by ruining the lives of other people unjustly; that is immoral.
      Well that is a shocking revelation, prosecutors pushing cases to futher their own political agenda!

Comment

Stop being daft. The guy wasn't convicted of jack **** prior to the vetdict and the state of Georgia claimed it was more damaging to have people get a blow job then to have actual sex. That is garbage.
        Unfortunately, the "garbage law" defense doesn't work so well inside a courtroom.

Comment

That's all well and good except the prosecutor in this case is a monster. He is taking the letter of the law and using it to destroy the intent of the law. There is no justice in this verdict. He is attempting to further his own poltical career by ruining the lives of other people unjustly; that is immoral.

So let me see if I get this right. The new law addresses the issues at hand primarily the inadequacy of applying aggravated child molestation and statutory rape for teenagers (Enacted by a largely republican state legislature and GOP governor) while the old laws on the books were enacted by Democratic state legislature and governors.

Yet the OP finds a way to slam GOP's as intolerant Bible thumping sexual prudes. The fact that the judicial system had no recourse but to interpret the law as written is immaterial when one simply has a burning Ahab like desire to slam GOP and by extension GOP stronghold states.

Again let us hope that the furor and readily apparent common sense appeal to justice registers with Gov. Purdue and that a pardon is forthcoming shortly.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Well that is a shocking revelation, prosecutors pushing cases to futher their own political agenda!
            Case in point Nifong

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

So let me see if I get this right. The new law addresses the issues at hand primarily the inadequacy of applying aggravated child molestation and statutory rape for teenagers (Enacted by a largely republican state legislature and GOP governor) while the old laws on the books were enacted by Democratic state legislature and governors.

Yet the OP finds a way to slam GOP's as intolerant Bible thumping sexual prudes. The fact that the judicial system had no recourse but to interpret the law as written is immaterial when one simply has a burning Ahab like desire to slam GOP and by extension GOP stronghold states.

Again let us hope that the furor and readily apparent common sense appeal to justice registers with Gov. Purdue and that a pardon is forthcoming shortly.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• [q=Ogie Oglethorpe]Yet the OP finds a way to slam GOP's as intolerant Bible thumping sexual prudes. The fact that the judicial system had no recourse but to interpret the law as written is immaterial when one simply has a burning Ahab like desire to slam GOP and by extension GOP stronghold states.[/q]

In addition, while Georgia Supreme Court elections are non partisan, it is quite obvious which side the candidates are on, and the one who gave the opinion here is well known to be a (wait for it) Democrat.

So it is even more interesting to slam the GOP for this.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• It's really simple. Gimme a G! Gimme an E! Gimme an O! Gimme an R! Gimme a G! Gimme an I! Gimme an A! What's it spell?

GEORGIA.

Regardless of what letter is next to the politicians' names, the law basically reflects the will of the population. The judge applied the law, as he must. As he should. If the law is bad, change the law.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                    The judge applied the law, as he must. As he should. If the law is bad, change the law.

-Arrian
                    Which is essentially in a nutshell what happened. Damn that democracy in action thing.

Comment

I always seem to kill threads like these
                      At that point in the thread you clearly had been helping to keep the thread active.

Comment

I don't understand why this wouldn't in fact ruin the prosecutor politically.

I would think that most offices he might want to run for would have a low profile on the publics radar and he could slip in easily but now I would expect a huge number of voters to loathe the bastard and vote for anyone running against him regardless of whether they know anything else about the election.

Comment

• I'm sure most people will have forgotten this by the time his election comes around.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Petition for Genarlow Wilson

Link

Comment

Unfortunately, the "garbage law" defense doesn't work so well inside a courtroom.
                              In California the state supreme court has already thrown out laws which attempted to treat sodomy (blow jobs & gay sex) more harshly then regular sex. It was found to violate the equal protection clause of the constitution. The law in Georgia gives some one ten times the sentece for engaging in sodomy compared to regular intercourse. That's garbage and it violates the equal protection clause.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Stop being a hack. Can't you even agree that it is unjust to send a 17 year old to 10 years in prison for a blow job?
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X