No announcement yet.

Help: Can't get Half-Life to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not all.. you have to understand what he says in that video, that's the funny part

And it has all to do with this thread.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Thanks but but I have an ATI video card, not NVidia. I also can only use the driver that got included by Dell.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Maybe it was sitting on the shelf too long before you bought it?

lol get it? half-life LOL
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Colon, so it's the Steam-bundled version? The game only installs with Steam and will only run from within?

For Steam games, the first step is to validate the game files. Can be done with a link steam://validate/x where x is the game's ID, which I do not remember for HL. I think you can access the function by accessing the game's Properties from within Steam and looking around there.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Do you mean the activation with the registration key? Done that already. Besides, I can play HF: Blue Shift and I assume "validation" would be required just as much for that game. I just can't play the original HF and Team Fortess (haven't tried Opposing Force).
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Good Gawd. I'm now trying to get back to playing HF: Blue Shift, from which I took a break and I can't. Stated reason: "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." I need their servers' okay to play a single-player game? This is infuriating.

I'm a ****** for legally buying this.

Comment

No, validation, not activation. It's a check of whether your files are okay and so. It could be that HL's files are somehow borked, but not Blueshift's (it's a different engine, even).

So try validating HL through Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                  Good Gawd. I'm now trying to get back to playing HF: Blue Shift, from which I took a break and I can't. Stated reason: "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." I need their servers' okay to play a single-player game? This is infuriating.

I'm a ****** for legally buying this.
                  It's a general Steam error actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    No, validation, not activation. It's a check of whether your files are okay and so. It could be that HL's files are somehow borked, but not Blueshift's (it's a different engine, even).

So try validating HL through Steam.
                    "Verify integrity of game cache" then, right? I had clicked that before and I recall I had some sort of confirmation message. Doing it again now doesn't really yield a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

It's a general Steam error actually.
                      Can be, but I can't believe I need their servers to function properly to play a SP game.

Comment

"Verify integrity of game cache" then, right? I had clicked that before and I recall I had some sort of confirmation message. Doing it again now doesn't really yield a response.

That's the one. Shutdown Steam, delete clientregistry.blob from its folder, restart Steam and try these verifications again on HL.

Can be, but I can't believe I need their servers to function properly to play a SP game.

You don't. SP games only need to be activated online once - to be tied into your Steam account, which you did when entering the key. Now you could even start Steam in offline mode.

Comment

The solution turns out to be I have to match the computer's screen resolution with the one I use in the game before loading it.

Comment

Working...
                          X