Help: Can't get Half-Life to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Can't get Half-Life to run

Bough the Half-Life Anthology pack today (Half-Life, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic). First went through a little ordeal with that POS intrusive Steam programma (thinks back fondly to the good ol' DOS days) and now I'm finding out Half-Life simply... will... not... run.
    Basically, when I start the program I get some sort of intro screen (with a drawing ofthe main character and the Half Life logo) and then nothing happens. The CPU sputters on for several seconds but afterwards the program simply doesn't respond any more. It seems like I can get Blue Shift to run properly (but I won't play it because I want to go about it in the chronological way) so I have no idea what could be wrong.
    Last edited by Colonâ„¢; December 19, 2006, 09:42.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

ARGH GOD DAMN MOTHERWHORE ****ING PIECE OF HORSE ****

help
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Maybe it was sitting on the shelf too long before you bought it?

lol get it? half-life LOL
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          Maybe it was sitting on the shelf too long before you bought it?

lol get it? half-life LOL
          Ba-dum-tish!

Comment

Maybe it's too acidy... maybe it just can't, is too tired?
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

System specifics: Dell Inspiron 9100 Intel P4 3.20 Ghz 1024MB RAM ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 256MB

Wish I could try to test it on my other (old and not networked) computer but it won't read the CD and it'd probably be useless to try anyway since the game needs internet connection to register and other such crap.
              Last edited by Colonâ„¢; December 19, 2006, 10:40.

Comment

lol LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  NONONONONONONO

WHY IS ALL OF FINLAND CRAZY ABOUT THIS

IT'S NOT FUNNY

Anyway, Colon: I guess you're doing this for the nostalgia, so I suggest finding a version that could run better. A donkey might carry it to you, or you could find a violet stream of bits at the place where the ships of the plunderers of other ships dock.
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    WTF does this mean?
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Ari, oh but it IS funny
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I must say I'm impressed. I never even figured you had half a life, Colon.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

WTF does this mean?
                          Basically, this guy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hix25TdoBFA - the guy in the white shirt - was going to achieve a record on fastest drinking of 1.5 litres of coca-cola. It turns out, however, that he was used to drinking pretty stale coke, and was surprised by the bite (acidity) of the drink. End result, for the past... it's a month since this came out, but it's felt like a year that everyone on IRC has been referring to this all the time as if it were the funniest thing ever .
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Don't know if it will help but you might want to try this.
                            What?

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                              Basically, this guy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hix25TdoBFA - the guy in the white shirt - was going to achieve a record on fastest drinking of 1.5 litres of coca-cola. It turns out, however, that he was used to drinking pretty stale coke, and was surprised by the bite (acidity) of the drink. End result, for the past... it's a month since this came out, but it's felt like a year that everyone on IRC has been referring to this all the time as if it were the funniest thing ever .
                              WTF does that have to do with Half Life?

wtf pekka?

Comment

Working...
                              X