Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which country does the US need the best relations with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which country does the US need the best relations with?

This question just randomly popped into my head and I figured I'd make a thread on it. Discuss.

I would say one of them is China. They lending massive amounts of money to the US for their growing debt, and they make the products that we US uses. If things went bad with US and China it could damage the US and Chinese economy.
    Donate to the American Red Cross.
    Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Mauritania
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Good question. It sort of depends on what they've got to give up to get those good relations, however. For instance, it would be really nice to have good relations with Iran right now. Unfortunately, to get them the US would have to roll over and play dead on precisely the issues it would like Iran to see its way.

Out of those countries which can reasonably be brought closer to the US or which can be prevented from growing apart I would say, in order of preference:

China
        Pakistan
        the UK
        India
        Russia
        Japan
        France
        Saudi Arabia
        Lebanon
        Brazil
        Argentina
        Egypt
        Germany
        Italy
        Indonesia
        Australia
        Canada
        A bunch of second tier Euro countries
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
          Mauritania
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Mauritania asshattery must be stopped.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Itself...

Comment

The other 4 perm members of the Security council should be at the top of the list, not so much because of toothless UN resolution but because thouse contries are the most influential in the world (after us) and thus any good/bad relation with them trickles down to their respective shperese of influence.

KH: Whats so important about Argentina?? Also I'd take issue with Lebanon both on grounds that Syria is pulling their strings and you only put it that high because of the resent conflict their.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

What's so important about Argentina is that if you can't get Brazil then it would be good to have somebody in SA other than the Columbians. They're also the largest Spanish-speaking country in SA (again, outside the Columbians, who nobody likes right now), which counts for a lot. There is significant residual dislike of Brazil due to its size and linguistic uniqueness.

Lebanon is rated so highly due both to their relationship with Israel and with Syria. If Lebanon both wishes to and manages to contain Hezbollah activities based out of Lebanon (both direct and indirect) then Israel will not respond as aggressively as often to militant activity (since there will be less of it). If we assume that the US won't be giving up its support for Israel then this can only be a positive thing, as it will lower resentment of the US in the region. As for its relationship with Syria, a friendly and powerful Lebanese state would lower Syria's status as a regional power broker. It would also force Syria to keep one eye on its back as it stirs up **** in Iraq (to whatever extent it's managing to), and might thus aid in isolating Iran (however little). The recent conflict does provide opportunity for this, but Lebanon has been a key battleground for a long time.

Neither of these countries is particularly important due to their military might. Argentina has a large enough economy, but the real importance of each of these two is in their relationship to the more powerful neighbours around them, and in their symbolic importance to the people of the region.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Seeing as the EU often negotiates as a single bloc (the splits into 25 to vote ) I'd say that. Though not technically a country, even if we do have a flag, anthem and founding date...

Comment

I hate to say it, but I think the most important country that the US maintains (and would be good to improverelationships with) is Canada. Yes, we have a good relationship with them already, but this is the one country that we need to maintain (or as I said to improve) our relationships with.

Canada --><-- United States
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I'm more concerned about Mexico than Canada.
                        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Because the relationship is good. If it weren't you'd be more concerned with Canada.
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                            Because the relationship is good. If it weren't you'd be more concerned with Canada.
                            Let's not forget that if, like China, American relations with Mexico could hurt both econemies. Even Fig Newtons are made in Mexico!
                            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Can't over estimate the importance of Fig Newtons,
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X