Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting thing about Coca-Cola....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_www
    I dont understand how anyone can drink diet soda, I cant stand the stuff. I drink Coke and Pesi and I am not fat and I am in good health.
    Diet Dr. Pepper.

I know a woman who drinks pepsi's constantly. Her teeth are rotting out at age 35.

I know a guy who drinks soda's alot too. His teeth are rotting out at age 25.

My brother used to drink big gulps from 7-11 all the time. His teeth rotted out by age 40.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Pretty much ... I mean, I guess if you took out your bones and set them in coke they'd dissolve It's not particularly good for your teeth, so just ... brush
      wrong. In the above example the girl is pretty good about brushing her teeth. Yet her teeth are still rotting out.

sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Fixed

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          Other well known uses for coke

Clean a Toilet Bowl
          Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl. Let the real thing sit for one hour, then brush and flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china
          Remove Grease from Clothes
          Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy work clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular wash cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains
          Remove Rust Spots from Chrome Car Bumpers
          Rubbing the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola will help remove rust spots
          Loosen a Rusted Bolt
          Applying a cloth soaked in a carbonated soda to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
          Clean Corrosion from Car Battery Terminals
          Pour a can of carbonated Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion
          Bake a Moist Ham
          Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
          Relieve Jelly Fish Stings
          Coke can also be used to relieve the sting from Jelly Fish. All you have to do is pour the Coke over the sting.
          Clean Tile Grout
          Pour a can of Coca Cola on the tile. When wiped it up, the grout will be as white as can be!
          Have Greener Grass
          Spray Coca-Cola on your grass once a month for super green grass which remains greener than other lawns throughout the fall and winter months. Also, for green grass and no bugs, combine: 1 can of coke, 1 cup of ammonia and 1/4 cup of dish soap. Spray on grass once a month.
          Common Cold Remedy
          Take some fresh ginger and put it in a pot with a can of Coca Cola. Let it come to a boil and then cook on a low heat for a few minutes. Drink while warm. It will ease your cold symptoms!
          Make a Tender Pot Roast
          When preparing a pot roast, use Coke instead of water. It tenderizes and imparts a unique flavor.
          Get Rid of Bug and Road Film
          Got bug guts and road haze on you car windshield? Take a can of warm Coca Cola, shake and spray onto the windshield. Wipe it off and rinse and water, clean as could be!
          Used as Marinade
          Remove Blood
          The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It's pa is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years.

Drink up.

Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called Naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes.) After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, most durably by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

Processed food use

It is also used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas, but not without controversy as to its health effects. It provides a tangy taste, and being a mass produced chemical, is available cheaply and in large quantities. The low cost and bulk availability is unlike more expensive natural seasonings that give comparable flavors, such as ginger for tangyness, or citric acid for sourness, obtainable from lemons and limes. (However most citric acid in the food industry is not extracted from citrus fruit, but fermented by Aspergillus niger mold from scrap molasses, waste starch hydrolysates and phosphoric acid.)

Biological effects on bone calcium

Traditionally, the bone deficiency disease osteoporosis (literally "porous bones") has been seen mostly in post-menopausal women, particularly those who did not build high bone density in youth, typically due to insufficient calcium intake. Some researchers have observed a positive correlation between soft-drink consumption and increased risk of osteoporosis in young women, which is now also seen in increasing prevalence in men of late middle age.

Phosphoric acid, used in many soft drinks (primarily so in cola drinks), was initially suspected. It has been claimed that an excess of phosphorus may lead to poor bone density. However medical research indicates that exactly the opposite is the case; as one might expect from the simple application of Le Châtelier's principle, it is low phosphate intake which increases the risk of osteoporosis, while high phosphate intake reduces it.[2]

One medical paper that provide reasonable evidence to support the theory that drinking cola results in lower bone density is, Tucker et al. Am. J Clin. Nut. Oct. 2006. Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study. [3] The abstract for the study is available from an organization called PubMed. The paper finds statistically significant evidence to show that women who consume cola daily have lower bone density. The study also suggests that further research is needed to confirm the findings.

Other chemicals such as caffeine (also a significant component of popular common cola drinks) were also suspected as possible contributors to low bone density, due to the known effect of caffeine on calciuria. However other studies have shown that not only does phosphoric acid in colas have no such effect, but the caffeine has only a temporary effect which is later reversed. The authors of this study suggest that any correlation between osteoporosis and soft drink consumption is probably due to displacement of dairy products from the diet.[4]. (Another possible confounding factor may be an association between high soft drink consumption and sedentary lifestyle.)

[edit] Medical use

Phosphoric acid is used in dentistry and orthodontics as an etching solution, to clean and roughen the surfaces of teeth where dental appliances or fillings will be placed. Phosphoric acid is also an ingredient in over the counter anti-nausea medications which also contain high levels of sugar (glucose and fructose). It should not be used by diabetics without consultation with a doctor. Phosphoric acid is also used as a catalyst in the synthesis of aspirin because it provides a larger number of hydrogen ions with less contamination when compared to hydrochloric acid and sulphuric acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Diet Dr. Pepper.

I know a woman who drinks pepsi's constantly. Her teeth are rotting out at age 35.

I know a guy who drinks soda's alot too. His teeth are rotting out at age 25.

My brother used to drink big gulps from 7-11 all the time. His teeth rotted out by age 40.
            Well my teeth are just fine. But any diet sodas, I can tast the artificial sweetener right away and hate the tast. I have tried a bunch of them and I can tast it every time and I cant stand it.
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

If people rinse with water after juice or sugary drinks like soda and brush at least twice a day they are not going to have rotting teeth as a result of drinking sodas.

Comment

I drink a bunch of diet pepsi. I don't drink coffee. Diet Pepsi is my method of caffiene injection.

My stomach has no problem with it. It *did* have a major problem with coffee. So, for me at least, I figure coffee is nastier stuff than diet pepsi. :shrug:

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                  DaShi - I don't think that what you have quoted is from his website. Where did you get that material?
                  Some silly website I found that uses the same inane logic.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

Some silly website I found that uses the same inane logic.
                    How can you say it uses the same inane logic if the same inane logic is not, in fact, used by the Swami?

Comment

Working...
                    X