No announcement yet.

What's with this Apocalypto movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oerdin's post is full of exaggeration. Assuredly Mel took numerous things form different areas and time periods. Also, there were some things that didn't make much sense.

But it was in the realm of what hollywood does, when I went in I saw previews for 300, and that is hugely bastardized too.

Also, there isn't the strong implication that Spaniards are a good thing. Notice that the hero does not want to go to them. They aren't saviors. Rather, it is the forest that he goes...

It isn't a tale of a standard time, a usual time, it is a tale of a time where there was famine, etc... note that the people feel their city is dying. This might all be a modification of the sort of thing that really occurred (but think about 300 also), but consider that your complaints against it's depictions of human sacrifice were that that wasn't the way it was normally done.

The city in the film wasn't in a 'normal' time for it.

I also have doubts about some who claim that they are doing things the way they were done 500 years ago. My understanding is that the cultures were smashed by the coming disease and war and etc. That is the reason why we have had gains of understanding in the last decades. Do we have such changes of understanding in our studies of europe or even China? No. And if there was direct culture left, we wouldn't have such changes now.

No, the people who are trying to keep up Mayan culture are trying to keep it up from old stories/etc, many of which were probably made up in the last 400 years.

I view the whole thing sort of how I view those claiming to be druids now. These aren't the same cultures, the culture wasn't prime for too long.

Even immigrants from foreign places get different cultures within a generation. Even if the language is kept, and they stay in their own communities.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      The whole thing where the Maya high priest is surprised by the solar eclipse sounds dumb too. I mean the Maya had one of the most advanced understandings of astronomy in the world at the time and they could predict solar eclipses up to a decade before they happened yet the movie shows the primative natives being surprised.
      Have you even seen the movie? I don't recall any of the Mayan elite being 'surprised' by the eclipse...
      Last edited by Darius871; December 18, 2006, 23:27.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Haven't seen it and am going on reviews. However, there supposedly is a scene where the high priest declares that the solar eclipse is a good sign so that no more human sacrofices need to be conduct thus saving the main character. The only problem is in real life a Mayan high priest would have known about the coming solar eclipse was coming years before it actually happened and it would have been a major event for them. Not some sort of "Oh, look. There's an eclipse so we don't have to rip any more beating hearts out of people".
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Something tells me whatever critic you got that from was already looking hard for things to rip on to interpret the scene that way; when I watched it the city's elites in fact seemed very unsurprised by the eclipse, while the less educated commoners were perplexed by it. My interpretation was that the elites had already predicted the eclipse, and that proclaiming it a sign of the gods' satiety was their way of placating the masses during a time of crisis.
          Last edited by Darius871; December 19, 2006, 01:51.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Spoiler:
            I thought similiarly. They can't keep ripping hearts out of their enemies for years.. they do that for a while, get the people feeling that they are doing something. Then when the eclipse happens, it is done, the people are satiated until next time...

JM
            Last edited by Jon Miller; December 19, 2006, 13:44.
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
              I thought similiarly. They can't keep ripping hearts out of their enemies for years.. they do that for a while, get the people feeling that they are doing something. Then when the eclipse happens, it is done, the people are satiated until next time...
              Glad I'm not alone on this. Within the context of the movie the pieces fit that way.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Please use spoiler tags
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Sorry. Oerdin posted about the eclipse 2 days ago so I thought it was too late anyway.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                    Something tells me whatever critic you got that from was already looking hard for things to rip on to interpret the scene that way; when I watched it the city's elites in fact seemed very unsurprised by the eclipse, while the less educated commoners were perplexed by it. My interpretation was that the elites had already predicted the eclipse, and that proclaiming it a sign of the gods' satiety was their way of placating the masses during a time of crisis.
                    That is a total ripoff of Tintin, Prisoners of the sun.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Boring story, boring movie. Gibson missed an opportunity to make a good movie about an interesting civilization that we never hear about. Wait for the DVD if you must see it. While you wait, rent "The Mission".

About the eclipse issue:

Spoiler:
                      I agree with Darius and Jon. The rulers and priests weren't surprised at all. The priest was even laughing. It was all orchestrated to manipulate the people, according to the movie.
                      Last edited by Nostromo; December 20, 2006, 02:04.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                      X