No announcement yet.

What's with this Apocalypto movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, I think it was more about the culture, thten about a story.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well the parts in the Mayan city were interesting, to see how it was set up, but if you want to just go into the culture, then focus on the city, not on this dude from an outlying village trying to get back.

I really felt that it wasted my time. Aside from the half-hour in the Mayan city, it had little to offer. Even the chase scene got silly.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Could you please put spoiler tags around that, JM?

Thanks!
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It was a myth, I think.

It also had a fair dose of the noble savage.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

IIRC, Mayan human sacrifice involved throwing young girls down cenotes rather than ripping the still beating hearts out of slaves.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If I want to study a Mayan village I'll go to a museum.
              I go to a movie as escapism. Entertainment. An occasional chuckle. Pop corn.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                IIRC, Mayan human sacrifice involved throwing young girls down cenotes rather than ripping the still beating hearts out of slaves.
                That was normal sacrifice. At certain times they also sacrificed the captured warriors of their enemies. If I remember correctly.

I don't know how to make spoilers.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Just use the [spoiler] tags, like was explained above.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The discussion on how to use the spoiler tag was only IN THIS THREAD, after all .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      I don't know how to make spoilers.
                      Spoiler:
                      Quote this post to see how
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        In Nevada sacrifice involves throwing C notes at young girls, IIUC.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I haven't seen Eastwood's films which I take are both very good, but I think Borat and Apocalypto are both "must see" films. Borat was shocking and new at the same time. The same could be said about Apocalypto.

The brutality of the Mayan was unspeakable.

That is the one message most will take away from this film.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Evidently they weren't brutal enough.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Evidently they weren't brutal enough.
                              What?

The Mayan made the Romans look like amatuers.
                              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Where are they all?

Comment

Working...
                                X