What's with this Apocalypto movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with this Apocalypto movie?

No thread debating it? Or is Gibson somehow persona non grata? Here it did just start two days ago, I haven't seen it yet, and actually didn't plan to do so.

However, I see a lot of more or less great reviews. Most mention Gibsons antisemitic rants, but say the movie has to be judged separately. Amusingly, one even compared him to Riefenstahl, not personally, but the combination of technical brilliance with questionable personality (mildly expressed).

Many think it's a great action movie, even historical correct (although most think it's just background for the action). Some say it's racist. And there's the question if he'd get an oscar for it.

Anyone seen it? Thoughts?
    Blah

I want to watch it.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

My mom saw it and said it was riveting. I said that I might pass on it because of the extreme violence, but she said she just looks at the blood and guts and imagines that it's ketchup.

Thought she would be more squeamish.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I thought of seeing it as well, but too extreme violence isn't my cup of tea either.
        Blah

Comment

Count me as Want To See It. This review doesn't seem to reflect extereme gore.

Apocalypto is probably one of the ten best movies of the year, a compelling action movie with not only adrenaline, but also brains and heart. Its portrayal of the Mayan culture -- including its strange dress, hair styles, costumes, tattoos, body piercing, and decorative scars, as well as its industry, class system, cities, warfare, weapons, myth, and religion -- provide a bizarre and fascinating anthropological backdrop for what is, at its heart, a solid, thrilling, fast paced old fashioned struggle between good guys and bad guys. The movie does have a lot of violence. But the violence is woven into a story with characters we care about. It is a realistic part of the culture being described. And it is not shown in a hyper gruesome manner, as is much of movie violence today. Thus, I found it much less offensive than many reviews had led me to believe I would. Unlike in some movies, I found the subtitles in Apocalypto so easy to read that most of time I forgot I was reading them. If anything the strange language only adds to the tone of exotic strangeness that pervades this unusually good and thrilling movie.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Apocalypto

Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Its Calypso
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

You don't say?

So the movie should ipso facto be Apocalypso then?

Comment

Can someone tell me how to post invisible spoilers, I want to explain something about the movie´s end, and why the movie is in fact correct
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

So it's NOT about Jacques Cousteau? CRAPSKI!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Use the [spoiler] tag.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

[ spoiler], [/spoiler] without the space following the first bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          So it's NOT about Jacques Cousteau? CRAPSKI!
                          My favourite Frenchman of all time. Even when he was alive.

Comment

Jacques Cousteau
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Spoiler

Spoiler:
                              ,Hope it works, at the end of the movie the spaniards suddenly appear (they have no role apart from that cameo, altough it is of much significance, the issue is many people thought that the movie was wrong and had mixed up 2 different periods of time, but the movie is correct, mayas did not disappear completely around 900, there were still maya kingdoms in the XVII century, so nothing historically wrong about spaniards arriving

And also, many mainly (white) leftists are worried, not because the movie is historically wrong, but because the movie shows the killings, wars for slaves, human sacrifices of meso american civilizations, they think it implies spaniards were right in conquering them, because altough spaniards were brutal, mesoamerican civilizations were even more brutal.
                              And they say that even if that was true Gibson should have shown more of the good things, like their alphabet, maths, calendar, art, architecture, astronomy etc and not only the violence, and that it is not considerate since mayas nowadays are just poor peasants trying to survive.

Surprisingly (or not) many amerindians dont have a problem with the movie, and you cant blame gibson, he wanted an action movie, not a documentary.

I will see the movie since it soudns very exciting, all action
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X