Clear All

population control ??

by the kiloton ??

Always wanted a white x-mas
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
      In 1986 a small reactor blew up in the iddle of Ukraine. The radioactive cloud reached the US two days later. And you guys think you would be affected by a nuclear exchange in India ?

Sweet dreams and repeat until true.
      should this be "wouldn't"

I have no idea what your point is.

Comment

"wouldn't" it should have been indeed
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Anyone seen the film 'threads'? Great, in a terrifying-vision-of-nuclear-war kinda way. My parents extra in it too

Comment

Re: Re: Kaboom!

Originally posted by LordShiva

Thankfully, an "exchange" would have to be two way, and we're not going to let that happen
            Just means they're going to hit you sooner rather than later.

That tongue just doesn't conway the "nyah" sentiment...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              My point is, in essence, that if Iran knows that nuking Israel will f*ck Iran even without retaliation, it may have second thoughts.
              Might they also think "Nuking Isreal can **** up the US agricultural production? Two birds with one stone!!!"
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

In 1986 a small reactor blew up in the iddle of Ukraine. The radioactive cloud reached the US two days later. And you guys think you would be affected by a nuclear exchange in India ?

that was a large reactor. We've set off over 2 dozen nuclear devices in the atomosphere in the 50's and 60's. The only difference is we haven't set them all off at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                  Anyone seen the film 'threads'? Great, in a terrifying-vision-of-nuclear-war kinda way. My parents extra in it too
                  were your parents the sickly one or the ones that were flash fried?

Just watched it 2 days ago in fact. It's on google video for anyone that wants to watch it. The quality is poor (british made for tv movie in 1984), but still pretty cool. I still think the ending is a little far fetched. I can't see the degradation of spoken language in 13 years. And why did Ruth's daughter's baby come out a bloody mess? I would expect that to happen with Ruth's kid after being exposed to so much fallout during pregnancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

were your parents the sickly one or the ones that were flash fried?

Just watched it 2 days ago in fact. It's on google video for anyone that wants to watch it. The quality is poor (british made for tv movie in 1984), but still pretty cool. I still think the ending is a little far fetched. I can't see the degradation of spoken language in 13 years. And why did Ruth's daughter's baby come out a bloody mess? I would expect that to happen with Ruth's kid after being exposed to so much fallout during pregnancy.
                    My parents are in the gruesome (and amazing) hospital scene. When the camera pans along a corridor and stops with a woman covered in burns mumbling to herself, that's my mum that is. She was also pregnant with me

Comment

do you have quotes for this?
                      I searched and could find no source for the cloud being detectable in the U.S.

Closest I could find were mentions of "East North America" but only one map included anything like it and the covered area was in Labrador....

Basically it seems modelling can predict when and how the cloud would reach the U.S and they can get an approximation of the amount of radiation that would have gotten to the U.S. but as far as I can see, this is under detectable levels that is negligible.

I'll read up a bit more, maybe I misunderstood, but maybe you are wrong
                      Last edited by Lul Thyme; December 14, 2006, 06:58.

Comment

I just saw a documentary a few weeks ago in which they showed an old fragment of an american news anker saying the radioactive cloud had reached the US.

So I assumed that is what happened.

Anyway, my point is that if an accident occurs where a reactor blows up (not even a nuclear explosion) and half of the world is affected somehow, I don't think the effects of a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan would pass by unnoticed.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I just saw a documentary a few weeks ago in which they showed an old fragment of an american news anker saying the radioactive cloud had reached the US.

So I assumed that is what happened.

Anyway, my point is that if an accident occurs where a reactor blows up (not even a nuclear explosion) and half of the world is affected somehow, I don't think the effects of a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan would pass by unnoticed.
                          I see the point you're trying to make.
                          I kind of agree but I think your example was not only wrong, but misguided.

The "nuclear cloud" that reached the U.S. was not radioactive anymore by that point, so there were no measurable effects for anybody in the U.S.

Comment

no doubt radiation will be spread around. But by the time it hits Europe or the U.S. it won't be detectable above background radiation.

Comment

Working...
                            X