Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let us celebrate the official end of the multiculturalist experiment in Britain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let us celebrate the official end of the multiculturalist experiment in Britain!

Good old Tony has finally decided to end this stupidity once and hopefully for all.

News Article

Adopt our values or stay away, says Blair

By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor
    Last Updated: 1:29am GMT 09/12/2006

Tony Blair formally declared Britain's multicultural experiment over yesterday as he told immigrants they had ''a duty" to integrate with the mainstream of society.

Tony Blair
    Tony Blair yesterday: 'We don't want the hate-mongers'

In a speech that overturned more than three decades of Labour support for the idea, he set out a series of requirements that were now expected from ethnic minority groups if they wished to call themselves British.

These included "equality of respect" - especially better treatment of women by Muslim men - allegiance to the rule of law and a command of English.

If outsiders wishing to settle in Britain were not prepared to conform to the virtues of tolerance then they should stay away. He added: "Conform to it; or don't come here. We don't want the hate-mongers, whatever their race, religion or creed.

"If you come here lawfully, we welcome you. If you are permitted to stay here permanently, you become an equal member of our community and become one of us. The right to be different. The duty to integrate. That is what being British means."
    advertisement

Mr Blair's volte face - just eight years ago he championed multiculturalism - was the culmination of a long Labour retreat from the cause. In recent weeks, Jack Straw, Ruth Kelly, John Reid and Gordon Brown have all played their part in a concerted revision of the Cabinet's stand which began in earnest after the July 7 suicide bombings in London last year.

Mr Blair, speaking in Downing Street, said the diversity of cultures in Britain should still be celebrated but the tone of his speech was against the ideology that became known as multiculturalism.

"The right to be in a multicultural society was always implicitly balanced by a duty to integrate, to be part of Britain, to be British and Asian, British and black, British and white," he said

The bombings had thrown the whole concept of a multicultural Britain "into sharp relief" and highlighted the divisions in society. While it was right that people should enjoy their own cultures, they should do so under a single set of overarching values.

"When it comes to our essential values, the belief in democracy, the rule of law, tolerance, equal treatment for all, respect for this country and its shared heritage — then that is where we come together, it is what gives us what we hold in common; it is what givesright to call ourselves British," said Mr Blair.

"At that point no distinctive culture or religion supercedes our duty to be part of an integrated United Kingdom."

The full text of his speech may be found here: Link

I must say I am heartened by this news.

Like learn the language?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The end of the "multicultural experiment" bit is just hysteria - it's not about getting a uniform culture, it's about getting people from different cultural backgrounds to accept some basic standards.
      Blah

Comment

Yes.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A bit of cheap veil-bashing from a Prime Minister who ran out of ideas long ago.

The July bombers were from normal, middle class homes. Obviously it doesn't help that much.

Comment

I don't see this as the end of multiculturalism. I see this rather fixing the current problems with it that are quite obvious, well at least in some European countries.

That is, alienation of the immigrant groups, unemployment, not speaking the language and not wanting to learn, welfare up to everyones ass and this all leads to hostilities and there's just no avoiding it. And of course this leads to growing crime as well.

So yeah.. I see this rather as an attempt to FIX these problems by actively putting responsibility to incoming people. Forcing them to consider the integration as something one should try to do.

Integration does not mean abolishing cultural inheritance. It means to be able to blend in within the country. You have to respect the laws of that country, you can't have any of that elderly **** going on in here, that overrides the justice system we have, especially if it has very different values. Stuff like women not having equal rights and stuff.

And if there are folks that are genuinely hostile, I don't see why they should be allowed in anyway. If you openly admit you hate this country and you want to see the destruction of it... yeah,, good bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Ban hindu religious attire
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Send all religious people to Mingapulco
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

My family's welsh/cornish. This multicultural experiment started centuries ago when the sawsnek/saesneg/English arrived.

So I say kick 'em all out. The Muslims, the Hindus, the Jews (cause we've never done that before!), the Christians and agonistics. Be gone with the upper classes, the working class and the Northerners. Tell the emo's, the punks, the chavs, the posh and the uncouth to give up and intergrate into my white, middle class, Guardian reading, BBC watching worldview.

Oh, and the Telegraph and all who read her can be the first to be made to intergrate.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

The Onion

What, it was for real? Good for them.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                      My family's welsh/cornish. This multicultural experiment started centuries ago when the sawsnek/saesneg/English arrived.

So I say kick 'em all out. The Muslims, the Hindus, the Jews (cause we've never done that before!), the Christians and agonistics. Be gone with the upper classes, the working class and the Northerners. Tell the emo's, the punks, the chavs, the posh and the uncouth to give up and intergrate into my white, middle class, Guardian reading, BBC watching worldview.

Oh, and the Telegraph and all who read her can be the first to be made to intergrate.
                      Did you bother to even read the damn speech?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Did you bother to even read the damn speech?
                        Why should I? Blair lost his flair ages ago. Plus whenever people attempt to define "British" (and they mean English) culture, they can never do much better than a wishy washy set of values that might fit any Western civilisation. Besides, the Telegraph has always treated "multiculturalism" as a dirty word.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Why should I?
                          Because what you're railing against is not what the guy actually said?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            Because what you're railing against is not what the guy actually said?
                            For someone who hasn't read Blair's speech, his criticism is remarkably accurate:

whenever people attempt to define "British" (and they mean English) culture, they can never do much better than a wishy washy set of values that might fit any Western civilisation.

Starchild
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So the origins of the British civilization are more or less unknown?

Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X