Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Science Fiction Have Any Predictive Skill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets not forget the biggest STNG prediction - -

no more greed....yeah, sure

as long as there are humans
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
      lets not forget the biggest STNG prediction - -

no more greed....yeah, sure

as long as there are humans
      ...or Ferengi.

I hope the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is not predicitive in that the Earth will be destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
        In terms of prediction, the only sci-fi novel that comes to my mind (I have read very few) is Farenheit 451 which has done an excellent job of capturing the essence of our culture and where it has brought us today.

Comment

As others have indicated, there is such a wide variety of stuff that shows up in science fiction that it is inevitable that SOME of it happens.

AS for specific things like say a cell phone . . . lets just say that its not shocking that even in the 1960w they could conceive of a wireless telephone-- and given the size of human hands etc its no shock that they might be of a flip variety

Many oterh things that sci-fi presents-- like better computers, just strikes me as inevitable progress. Predicting things like airplanes or submarines ?? That doesn't impress me at all since it is not difficult to conceive of such things
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Actually, for cell phones, you could go to the comic strip Dick Tracy - he had the 2-Way Wrist Radio in Jan 1946 (date per Wiki). Upgraded to 2-Way Wrist TV in 1964.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
            X