Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Science Fiction Have Any Predictive Skill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Science Fiction Have Any Predictive Skill?

We always hear about science fiction predicting stuff, but like in some fields of science it's quite easy to get something right every now and then if you predict a million and one things..
    www.my-piano.blogspot

War of the Worlds seems spot on about the bug. I think that may be a major problem we will encounter while visiting other worlds. We may have to send out remote units first to bring back alien bugs in order to develop vaccines. Otherwise, first expeditions will be wiped out.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Have there been a million and one works of science fiction?

Star Trek predicted quite a bit in itself. Cell phones, race relations, big screen TVs, Shatner's receding hairline.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Basically, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
            War of the Worlds seems spot on about the bug. I think that may be a major problem we will encounter while visiting other worlds. We may have to send out remote units first to bring back alien bugs in order to develop vaccines. Otherwise, first expeditions will be wiped out.
            That really depends on the bug. Bacteria maybe a problem, but they are rather easy to protect against and you might not encounter anything more harmful to you than the locals. Viruses would be an almost nil threat, since they are highly specialized to attack local hosts. It would be some time til they adapted to infect people.

Really, the War of the Worlds ending is absurd.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
              You talk as though War of the World as been validated since it came out...
              We don't have any more reason to believe such an idea or it's opposite then when that book was published.

Personnally I think it's one of the lesser probable sci-fi scenario.

Diseases rarely jump ship from species to species, and when they do, it's from close species, say mammals or birds.

Anyway, I don't really know for sure, but I think we could find examples of science-fiction ideas that are more probable than this.

More on topic, some hard Science-fiction authors were heavily based on science.
              Arthur C. Clarke for example invented geostationary satellite etc...
              Some authors definetly have SOME predictive power...
              Last edited by Lul Thyme; December 8, 2006, 18:07.

Comment

Well, crews returning from the Moon had to go through quarantine. NASA obviously believes that alien bugs could be a problem.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

The Chinese brought guns on their manned missions. Space agencies do nutty stuff. Better safe than sorry.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Lul and DaShi, would you, if you were a NASA scientist, advise that we return samples to Earth for analysis before landing on planets/moons capable of supporting life?

Comment

Are the astronauts going to be taking their helmets off on strange planets?
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Sci-Fi is such a huge body of work with such wide ranging predictions that I'm fairly certain that any most of the likly future senarios have been predicted already. In hindsight its easy to find a work of Sci-fi that had a correct prediction. Its much like finding a stock market broker who can predict the stock market. Because practicaly every possible prediction is made by someone its trivial in hindsight to find one which made an acurate prediction but this don't mean that their any better then random chance.

Things like 1984, writen from a standpoint of political prediction rather then tecnological prediction are far more insightfull. I would also sight major philisophical works like Machiavelli's the Prince as time tested handbooks for predicting the future because human nature has remained a constant.
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                          Lul and DaShi, would you, if you were a NASA scientist, advise that we return samples to Earth for analysis before landing on planets/moons capable of supporting life?
                          Yes, I would take precaution.
                          That doesn't mean I don't believe that a problem will be highly unlikely.

Remember how the discussion started.
                          You basically used War of the Worlds as an example of science-fiction that had been validated.

I just said that not only had it not been validated at all, but personnally, and I think many ppl would agree, it's not even probable at all.

It's still might be risky enough that some care has to be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                            Sci-Fi is such a huge body of work with such wide ranging predictions that I'm fairly certain that any most of the likly future senarios have been predicted already. In hindsight its easy to find a work of Sci-fi that had a correct prediction. Its much like finding a stock market broker who can predict the stock market. Because practicaly every possible prediction is made by someone its trivial in hindsight to find one which made an acurate prediction but this don't mean that their any better then random chance.

Things like 1984, writen from a standpoint of political prediction rather then tecnological prediction are far more insightfull. I would also sight major philisophical works like Machiavelli's the Prince as time tested handbooks for predicting the future because human nature has remained a constant.
                            There ARE science-fiction authors (usually called hard science fiction) where they tried to get the science part as right as possible. Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke are probably the most known examples, and both of them were scientist in their own right.
                            Most of their "predictions" that can we can verify at this point have hit very close to home.

Comment

Star Trek

was so widely popular, it influenced the future. Star Trek did not predict cell phones. It influenced the designers of cell phones to make flip phones that looked like the Star Trek communicators.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X