No announcement yet.

Is "Eragon" just a cheap LOTR rippoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Eragon" just a cheap LOTR rippoff?

Saw a trailer of the movie, it will be in the theatres next week or so. Does anybody know that Eragon stuff better and wants to enlighten me?
    Blah

Yes. There is nothing original in the book.

Comment

It is a shame it has some fine actors in it
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Looks to be a rather expensive LoTR ripoff.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Star Wars, too. It's a knockoff of Star Wars, too, that is.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought the book was a pretty good read.

Comment

I was under the impression it was a Dragonriders of Pern ripoff.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Aabraxan
                I thought the book was a pretty good read.
                My opinion of you just dropped (and I hardly even know who you are!) .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

who cares if it's just a ripoff if it's a good movie?

Comment

Star Wars, too. It's a knockoff of Star Wars, too, that is.
                    Which is itself just a rip of of the Arthurian Legend, which LotR is also ripping off though to a lesser degree.

As we can see nothing original was produced betwee the Legend of Kind Arthur and the Twilightzone and nothing sinse
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Is [insert fantasy book/movie/game] just a cheap LOTR rippoff?
                      The answer to this question is always yes.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Uh un. Star Wars is a rip off of much more than just Arthurian legend. It's even a rip off of things not Western, which lessens the likelihood that you can trace it back to Arthurian legend in the end.

What differentiates Star Wars from Eragon, in my opinion, is that Star Wars had a cliched story that was presented in a novel way, whereas Eragon is just so much cliched, high fantasy crap.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No.

I havent read Dragonriders of Perm, but from what POTM says its much closer to that than to LOTR. LOTR is magic-lite - there are only a few magic users, and their magic tends to the subtle (with some exceptions). Eragon, is more like DnD where magic is almost routine. and then theres the dragon riding and stuff. I mean theres elves and dwarves, but thats totally standard in fantasy lit.

The plot is really a ripoff of Star Wars. POTM and I discussed the parallels between the plot of the first book (Eragon) and Ep4 of SW, to the point where she decided she didnt want to see SW movies cause they would spoil the Eragon series. Fortunately she relented, and the second book seems to have veered off (Somewhat) from SW. Though not entirely.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Uh un. Star Wars is a rip off of much more than just Arthurian legend. It's even a rip off of things not Western, which lessens the likelihood that you can trace it back to Arthurian legend in the end.
                            I assert that Star Wars is about 80% Arthurian, 10% Pulp Sci-fi and 10% Original Lucas. I see no non-western influence beyond the light saber being stylisticly closest to a katana.

If you would like to go into details I sugjest we start a new thread.
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

My opinion of you just dropped (and I hardly even know who you are!) .

Im reading it cause POTM made me. Well I read the first book, and am reading the second. The things we do for love!

Really the first wasnt TOO bad, considering the author was 15. At least it had a few nice scenes. Sometimes it was painful seeing the author strive to write in a more" adult" way than he was really capable of. Id hoped the second book would be better as the author is older, but unfortunately hes gotten more ambitious = he could probably do a workmanlike job with the first book now, but instead hes tried to get into political and psychological stuff that, again, you can feel him struggling to master.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X