No announcement yet.

Is "Eragon" just a cheap LOTR rippoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTOH theres a lot of stuff in the book that a good director could craft into a very nice movie, and a good scriptwriter could overcome the weaknesses in the book.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

So is this going to be a trilogy or if its bad will it be done in a couple of hours for me ?
      I thought the trailer looked more like a DnD rip then LotR
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
        So is this going to be a trilogy or if its bad will it be done in a couple of hours for me ?
        there are two books out, and AFAIK Paolini is working on the third. I doubt there will be a second movie if the first flops, though.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Im still waiting for the part where Galbatorix says "Eragon, I AM your father"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui My opinion of you just dropped (and I hardly even know who you are!)
            I'm sorry to hear that. In my own defense, I never said it was high literature, just a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
              I assert that Star Wars is about 80% Arthurian, 10% Pulp Sci-fi and 10% Original Lucas. I see no non-western influence beyond the light saber being stylisticly closest to a katana.

If you would like to go into details I sugjest we start a new thread.
              *shrug* As much as I love a good Star Wars debate, I don't really have the time or energy to participate in a thread about it right now, and I likely wouldn't respond until Monday.

But, well, there's also a good bit of pseudo-Buddhism in the Jedi philosophy.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Aabraxan

I'm sorry to hear that. In my own defense, I never said it was high literature, just a good read.
                Makes JK Rowling look like friggin Leo Tolstoy, Balzac, and Herman Melville all rolled into one, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark Makes JK Rowling . . .
                  The HP books were good reads, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aabraxan

The HP books were good reads
                    fixed.

Im sorry, theres too much painful dialogue and narration in Eragon. "why dont you elves eat meat"
                    "Mine knuckles are made of steel, and can kill an urgal" "You must protect yourself, little one"

That sort of thing. Paoline makes a good case for A. Doing a lot of writing of stories and short novels BEFORE trying a 3 volume epic and B. Doing a lot more living before trying to wrestle with psychological and political stuff. All that stuff in "Eldest" just feels so much like he got it from books he read.

Comment

Haven't read "Eldest," so I can't speak to how good it is or isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark That sort of thing. Paoline makes a good case for A. Doing a lot of writing of stories and short novels BEFORE trying a 3 volume epic and B. Doing a lot more living before trying to wrestle with psychological and political stuff.
                        Why? He has created a cash cow, and is getting his book made into a major motion picture. He may be a hack, but he's a rich hack. I bet that that's enough for him.
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Why? He has created a cash cow, and is getting his book made into a major motion picture. He may be a hack, but he's a rich hack. I bet that that's enough for him.
                          well if thats what hes in it for. I sometimes give apiring the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

well if thats what hes in it for. I sometimes give apiring the writers the benefit of the doubt.
                            I go by the assumption that most popular soft sci-fi and fantasy writers know that they're hacks, or at least don't care if they're perceived that way. Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, H.K. Rowling, Harry Turtledove, Terry Brooks, etc. None of them are "good" writers. They can just put together an entertaining story and have made themselves wealthy (or, as in the case of Rowling, fabuoulsy wealthy)
                            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                              I assert that Star Wars is about 80% Arthurian, 10% Pulp Sci-fi and 10% Original Lucas. I see no non-western influence beyond the light saber being stylisticly closest to a katana.
                              You can assert that, but Lucas has himself admitted that the plot is drawn heavily from Kurosawa. Its similarities to his works are well known, and Lucas has certainly talked more about them than Arthurian Legend.
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

I go by the assumption that most popular soft sci-fi and fantasy writers know that they're hacks, or at least don't care if they're perceived that way. Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, H.K. Rowling, Harry Turtledove, Terry Brooks, etc. None of them are "good" writers. They can just put together an entertaining story and have made themselves wealthy (or, as in the case of Rowling, fabuoulsy wealthy)
                                Well, if they can put together an entertaining story then they are per definition not hacks...
                                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                                X