No announcement yet.

Same-sex Marriage Debate is Officially Over in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point is though about this issue, as Asher has so rightly pointed out, is that this is about freedom and not democracy. It doesn't matter whether a majority support it or do not, this is about the inalienable rights of a group of society to do their own thing. What business is it of any 'conservative individual' to interfere in the private affairs of others just because you think 'it's a bit icky'? I for one think Christians making love is icky and should be banned. If a majority supporting banning Christians making love, Ben, would you support it?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Making love requires the consent of two people, so it's not an individual right.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

What are you?

Some kind of homophiliac bigot?
        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Marriage is not an individual right, like life, liberty and security of the person because it requires the consent of another person. Free speech and the like are all individual rights, marriage is not.

So then in United States, there was nothing unconstitutional about laws prohibiting interracial marriage.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Canada

I'm going up to Vancouver over christmas. Now I have to wonder if some of my gay friends (that I lost contact with over the intervening centuries) are married now? Weird!
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Asher, if you want a civil discussion, I suggest you drop the insults, and the labels for those to whom you disagree.
              I agree. Asher, while BK's opinions may be insulting to you, he hasn't used this thread to pour scorn upon gay people, by saying things like "homosexual bigot" or somesuch. You have. BK has acted entirely politely towards you in this debate, and you haven't returned the favour. There's nothing here that's ban-able or in complete contradiction to the rules, so this is a provisional warning to be nice before it slips any further.

Also I've removed the "Ben cries himself to sleep" from the title, since it's a clear troll towards Ben and threads aimed at one person are not allowed. It also it has nothing to do with the actual debate.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

Also I've removed the "Ben cries himself to sleep" from the title, since it's a clear troll towards Ben and threads aimed at one person are not allowed. It also it has nothing to do with the actual debate.
                From the article:

Social conservatives are not likely to turn to the Liberals, said Mr. Ben Ami, but they can stay home on voting day.
                Based upon his earlier post this was not the Ben referred to, but it could have been. You missed an 'out' Asher.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I agree. Asher, while BK's opinions may be insulting to you, he hasn't used this thread to pour scorn upon gay people, by saying things like "homosexual bigot" or somesuch. You have. BK has acted entirely politely towards you in this debate, and you haven't returned the favour. There's nothing here that's ban-able or in complete contradiction to the rules, so this is a provisional warning to be nice before it slips any further.

noob.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Canada
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

And here I thought Asher was being far more polite than normal.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Hi Ben!

I'm not sure what to think about the same sex marriages.

1: At first, how can we refuse, legal marriage to people? How the government can know, what is the very meaning of marriage and love. Refusing same sex marriage is the same thing as saying that the government of Canada know what is love and marriage?

And even as a society, as the people of Canada, we don't really know, what is love and certainly what is marriage.

2:Secondly, they do not force religious group to celebrate the same sex marriage. So why should we care about it? At least, they don't attack our freedom by forcing religious to do same sex marriage.

3: Marriage doesn't seems to mean anything to people in our time. Is seems like a vague romantic idea, so if the people of Canada don't have any clue what is marriage (for male-female), how can they refuse marriage for gay?

4: What I regret about the same sex marriage is a symptom of the nihilism and decay that affect each area of life in our society.
                        I truly believe that same sex marriage can only be accepted in a society that have lost their identity.

5: My opinion: If two people are united by love and self-sacrifice, I think it's more important than anything else, even if they are gay or not.

There a proverb in french (who was taken from the gospel) which say:

"For the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

« La lettre tue et l'esprit vivifie »

So, if two people are united by the divine ideal of love and self sacrifice. I think it's more important, than what are the sex of their bodies.
                        Last edited by CrONoS; December 9, 2006, 12:50.
                        bleh

Comment

Asher, can I be against Gay Marriage because I don't wanna buy wedding gifts for my gay friends too?
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

So the only folks who are opposed to SSM are religious bigots?
                            Yes.

And Canada
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yes.
                              Are you serious?
                              bleh

Comment

How many atheists do you know who oppose gay marriage?
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X