Death of a Child vs Deatn of an Adult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Yet of course you are allowed (and often encouraged) to hit children if they do something you don't like. No one seems concerned over the fact that they are far smaller and weaker when it comes to allowing a 200 lbs. man to hit them with a belt.
    What county are you in? Other than by a few tough love types corporal punishment, except where the child is doing something physically dangerous, is discouraged by all books on parenting, etc. And even the tough love types arent in to the hitting with belt stuff of yesteryear, I think. NOt that id know I dont read that stuff. Now some parents DO hit, im not denying that, but I dont see it encouraged much in the USA.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Death of a Child vs Death of an Adult

Originally posted by Eli
      What's worse?

Let's say that a child is someone younger than 10 years.

I don't remember myself as a kid actually thinking about what I'm doing. It was like being a machine. Something happens, you automatically react and that's it. No ideals, no plans, almost no awareness.

With babies it's even more extreme. All they do is drool and make unpleasant smells and noises.

So why do we treat the death of a kid as something more tragic than the death of an adult? Isn't the life of a 40 years old man more precious than the life of a 1 year old drooling machine that's not even self aware?
      I was the exact opposite as a kid. It was kids like you giving the rest of us a bad reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        And No parent should ever have to bury one of their children.
        Having done so I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the only thing worse is the loss of a spouse.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Having a chance. Same argument that applies to abortion. You may have just killed the cure for cancer.
          Statistics would say that there are a way higher probability that abortion has prevented thousands of serial killers

OT, I think it's in the genes. The loss of a child means your genes has lost the race.

Besides that, there is the emotional part - people gets into a frenzy over babies and that diminishes when they grow up and become equals.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I agree with most, I think it's worse when it's a child because they never had a chance to experience most of the stuff. An adult at least had some more time.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

OK Eli, what exactly have you done? C'mon man, 'fess up. Where's the body?

Children are the very reason for the existence of love. Without the existence of kids why would we bother? On a psychological level nothing matures a person like raising a kid. Parenting is like getting a Ph.D. in love. There is point in life where giving love is as satisfying, perhaps even more than satisfying than being loved. It's not even the anticipation of the child's accomplishments yet to come, it's the serene knowledge that you are the very ground upon which this small person stands. It's like being connected to nature in a way more primal than watching a sunset from a mountain top or sitting at the edge of the ocean at daybreak. To kill a child is to rip that away from the parent. It's like a two - for - one snuff, and furthermore it sends ripples of fear and despair throughout the community of parents.

So I say to you, what goes on between a man and a dead juvenile goat is NOT a crime.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

So I say to you, what goes on between a man and a dead juvenile goat is NOT a crime.
                Who says that the goat are dead and it actually is the death of their offspring he is worried about ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Children are the very reason for the existence of love. Without the existence of kids why would we bother? On a psychological level nothing matures a person like raising a kid. Parenting is like getting a Ph.D. in love. There is point in life where giving love is as satisfying, perhaps even more than satisfying than being loved. It's not even the anticipation of the child's accomplishments yet to come, it's the serene knowledge that you are the very ground upon which this small person stands. It's like being connected to nature in a way more primal than watching a sunset from a mountain top or sitting at the edge of the ocean at daybreak. To kill a child is to rip that away from the parent. It's like a two - for - one snuff, and furthermore it sends ripples of fear and despair throughout the community of parents.

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    No, no, no. All teenagers need to be whacked.
                    fixed.

Comment

Will someone please think of the children!

I for one welcome our new baby and children overlords.
                      Lots of Helen Lovejoys out there and even some mr.helen lovejoys.

On a psychological level nothing matures a person like raising a kid.
                      If that's true nothing will mature some of the parents I know.

It's like being connected to nature in a way more primal than watching a sunset from a mountain top or sitting at the edge of the ocean at daybreak. To kill a child is to rip that away from the parent. It's like a two - for - one snuff
                      So a polygamous family could have a 10 for 1 snuff?
                      If you kill a parent that child is ripped away from that connection too - still a "two-for-one" snuff.
                      Some like Ogie might feel a deeper loss for a spouse or girl/boy-friend or best friend.

The difference is new fathers/mothers seem to feel exceptionally emotional over their new young children and the media/advertisers love that.

I was trapped in a meeting recently where a VP decided to ramble into a 15minute "BabyCutefest" about his daughter dressed like a carrot for halloween and how he would kill anyone for waking her up, bothering her, etc. etc. Meanwhile I was thinking "yeah yeah I get it you're Mr.Macho Dad."

That aside, I'll say in advance "only parents understand... when you get to be a parent you'll understand because it's something so... deep it cannot be explained... so until then hush!"
                      Don't get me wrong, I really like babies and children - they're delicious.

Comment

Children are the very reason for the existence of love. Without the existence of kids why would we bother? On a psychological level nothing matures a person like raising a kid. Parenting is like getting a Ph.D. in love. There is point in life where giving love is as satisfying, perhaps even more than satisfying than being loved. It's not even the anticipation of the child's accomplishments yet to come, it's the serene knowledge that you are the very ground upon which this small person stands. It's like being connected to nature in a way more primal than watching a sunset from a mountain top or sitting at the edge of the ocean at daybreak.

Not so sure about the goat portion, however

Comment

What's worse?

Killing an adult, definitely. Such a waste!

All that effort for nothing. You wanna make people really hate? You gotta kill the kids.

Dead juveniles

Goats
                          I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                            Isn't the life of a 40 years old man more precious than the life of a 1 year old drooling machine that's not even self aware?
                            Yes. 1 year old drooling machines are much easier to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                              So why do we treat the death of a kid as something more tragic than the death of an adult?
                              Because of the view that the weak deserve special care and protection.
                              Blah

Comment

It's about emotion over reason. Adults are designed to be protective and emotional about children.

The reality is, if the bread-winner dies, the whole family is in big trouble. If the baby dies, it's very bad for the baby, but not as bad for the rest of the family.

Comment

Working...
                                X