Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of a Child vs Deatn of an Adult

What's worse?

Let's say that a child is someone younger than 10 years.

I don't remember myself as a kid actually thinking about what I'm doing. It was like being a machine. Something happens, you automatically react and that's it. No ideals, no plans, almost no awareness.

With babies it's even more extreme. All they do is drool and make unpleasant smells and noises.

So why do we treat the death of a kid as something more tragic than the death of an adult? Isn't the life of a 40 years old man more precious than the life of a 1 year old drooling machine that's not even self aware?
    Last edited by Eli; December 7, 2006, 16:50.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

its that whole survival instinct thing and people not wanting bad things happening to their children.

Comment

Having a chance. Same argument that applies to abortion. You may have just killed the cure for cancer.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think it depends, really. Partially on the "having a chance" argument, but not really. It's more dissapointing for a tenager to die, because a teenager should be prepared for the real world far more than a child. Unlike a child, which historically had a higher cahnce of death, a teenager is far more likely to grow up. Thus, it's a greater tragedy for a teenager to die over a child.

Oh, and there's the whole innocence factor as well, I guess.
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Having a chance. Same argument that applies to abortion. You may have just killed the cure for cancer.
          Negligible.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

No, no, no. Half of all teenagers need to be whacked.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

And No parent should ever have to bury one of their children.

And a 50 year old man has at least had a decent amount of life. A 17 year old hasn't.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                No, no, no. Half of all teenagers need to be whacked.
                The ignorance, traditional rebellious attitude, and recklessness of teenagers has nothing to do with whether or not teenagers deserve to live more than babies or other little children.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Death of an adult is more damaging to the society.

Comment

There's one right there, past whacking point.

Comment

The younger you are, the more innocent you are. If you hear about the death of some kid you never knew, you are more likely to feel sad about it than if it was an adult because for all you know the adult was a dirtbag.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        And No parent should ever have to bury one of their children.

And a 50 year old man has at least had a decent amount of life. A 17 year old hasn't.
                        Yup.
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Negligible.

At some level all lives are equal. Its certain wrong to take any innocent life.

A strictly utilitarian POV, is that when you kill the one year old, youre probably killing 80 years of life, while killing the 40 Yo youre killing only the remaining 40 yrs. The kind of logic used in priortizing transplants. Of course the same logic would prioritize a HEALTHY 40YO over a 1 year old with a fatal disease likely to kill them in 5 years.

Also note use of word innocent. We tend to think of the young as more innocent. Havent done bad. Should the good an adult has down count in the other direction? In a civ built on the depravity of Man, we assume most have done more ill than good in their life

Innocent in certain contexts. If its a policeman whos shot a 40 YO, we want to hear if the guy was a criminal. If a policeman shoots a 1 yo, we assume the baby was not a criminal.

Also, its just plain mean to harm kids. Who are MORE likley to be weaker, etc. By extension, its crappy to kill them.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Also note use of word innocent. We tend to think of the young as more innocent. Havent done bad. Should the good an adult has down count in the other direction? In a civ built on the depravity of Man, we assume most have done more ill than good in their life
                            Innocence in the case that we are using does not mean "lack of sin." Innocense implies ignorance of the experiences of the world. A 40 year old man, despite how good said man is, still isn't as innocent as a child, who hasn't experienced the world nearly as much.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Also, its just plain mean to harm kids. Who are MORE likley to be weaker, etc. By extension, its crappy to kill them.
                              Yet of course you are allowed (and often encouraged) to hit children if they do something you don't like. No one seems concerned over the fact that they are far smaller and weaker when it comes to allowing a 200 lbs. man to hit them with a belt.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X