Just got a call from my VA doc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a call from my VA doc

My colesterol is twice what it ought to be. I refuse to take the blockers they push so he suggested 3-6 1000mg fish oil caps plus 2 500mg niacin and I'll throw in some flax seed oil sice I forgot to ask about it.

My father drank and smoked himself to death in his 70s, his brother is still kicking against the ****** at 85 and his sister just died at 84. My mother died in her 70s and she was diabetic like I am, but I have better self control and a less self destructive lifestyle, ie I have sugerless hot choco with my splash of rum.

I don't want to cut out my medicinal rum, but any advise on what to do to lower colesterol?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Fish oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, soluble fibre (like in oatmeal), etc.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

you have a doctor in Virginia? cool.

fish oil seems to be working for my brother.

Comment

Sounds like what my mother takes, so at least the sawbones are consistent. To say nothing of now having Shiva's concurrence.
        Hopefully it works out well for you.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Garlic pills.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He doesn't live in Transylvania, and it's cholesterol he's battling, not vampires.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Sounds like I'm on the right track

Wierd, I just posted this and it...never actually appeared!

Comment

I've heard garlic too.

Dolores is telling me what I won't be eating anymore, stuff I like! Eggs, spam! Arrrg!

Actually I was eating eggs and spam when the doc called.

Comment

Uh oh. Like looking in a mirror, and no reflection?

RAH, you may have been right after all.

Comment

Don't give up on eggs totally, there's been much debate in the medical world on just how bad they are for you.

My father has been battling HC for a few decades and he is allowed 3 eggs a week. (per his doctor)
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Does he eat the brown eggs rah?

Little joke there.

Comment

why

do you refuse to take stuff like simvastatin?
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Took it for a while, made me feel...strange...and my kidneys hurt. I took another statin before that and could hardly remember my name. Never had a good memory but this was much worse.

Comment

Exercise. Cut down on saturated fats & carbs. I switched to diet pop. When I eat cereal or salad I sprinkle on a couple tablespoons of milled flax seed.
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I take the flax seed oil,isn't that better?

Dolores is making her oatmeal/nut cookies with splenda, thank you doc!

Comment

Working...
                              X