No announcement yet.

The Big Bang time paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Green. It's a pretty straightforward account of current cosmological thinking (and how they got there).

Comment

I am still hoping that Vince or someone will post their grand ideas.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        So the Big-Bang creation theory can explain everything but the creation of the universe?

Oh yeah. I'm happy.

The big bang does not explain the creation of the universe, it explains stellar evolution and how the universe changed, over time, from the earliest point of the model.

I agree with the first few responses, no paradox.

Asking what happened before the big bang is like asking(as was said) what is "outside" the universe(in a spacial sense).

Nothing.

A simpler analogy?

What color is the taste of an apple? What does is the sound of a sight?

The question asks for a mismatched description.

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286
          so before inflation was the universe a singularity?
          ? No.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen

The big bang does not explain the creation of the universe, it explains stellar evolution and how the universe changed, over time, from the earliest point of the model.

I agree with the first few responses, no paradox.

Asking what happened before the big bang is like asking(as was said) what is "outside" the universe(in a spacial sense).

Nothing.

A simpler analogy?

What color is the taste of an apple? What does is the sound of a sight?

The question asks for a mismatched description.
            Thanks for ignoring my post.

I'm the only professional cosmologist here, but I'm sure your opinion is as valid as mine.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
              So you like to dish it out (accusing everyone of being ignorant fools), but can't take a little snappiness?
              Oh, I can take it. But if you want me to give you lovin' then you have to treat me right...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If the universe consists of matter and anti-matter, why did it explode rather than implode? It should have self annilated.

There is more matter than antimatter in the Universe. This fact is of constant interest to physicists.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH: Your position seems to me to be roughly "Phisics and mathematics can predict (in a retro-active sense) the universe back to Inflation era at which point our understanding is so sloppy/undeveloped that we cant realy say anything definitive about what came before" Thats consistent with what I have heard but the threads author was interested in the paradoxical and conceptual nature of the "begining of time". Perhaps you dont realy like these kinds of speculations as its almost more philosophical then scientific. But you must admit their popular topics of lay debate so please present your side on these issues or the current theories if they are different.

I've heard the discover of Dark-Energy has ruled out any chance of the Universe re-collapsing aka Big-Crunch, instead it will exist forever continualy expanding and diluting all heat and matter in the classic heat-death-of-the-universe senario. That would seemingly rule out any kind of cyclical nature as was mentioned earlier. Is that still the excepted theory?

Lastly fill us in on your specific area of study/research if you could.
                  Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; December 3, 2006, 03:42.
                  Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Oh, I can take it. But if you want me to give you lovin' then you have to treat me right...
                    youre all teeth and no swallow
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      I love watching people who either lack the motivation or the intellect to actually learn physics try to poke holes in theories created by their betters.
                      Umm ... I wasn't trying to pick holes, actually, this is just something that occurred to me at the moment, so I posted it. But you in your fantastic arrogance you have to misinterpret everything as the ranting of ignorants, don't you?

And I posted it here in order to understand where I was going wrong, because I was curious. Instead of helping me, you're acting like a dick. Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                        KH: Your position seems to me to be roughly "Phisics and mathematics can predict (in a retro-active sense) the universe back to Inflation era at which point our understanding is so sloppy/undeveloped that we cant realy say anything definitive about what came before" Thats consistent with what I have heard but the threads author was interested in the paradoxical and conceptual nature of the "begining of time". Perhaps you dont realy like these kinds of speculations as its almost more philosophical then scientific. But you must admit their popular topics of lay debate so please present your side on these issues or the current theories if they are different.
                        Precisely.

I was asking a more general, almost philosophical question about the paradox that occurs if we talk about a "beginning of time". Not specifically about the Big Bang. I'm not really that interested in the physics theory, because the question is logical in nature, not physical.

Comment

Re: The Big Bang time paradox

Originally posted by aneeshm
                          It is postulated that time did not exist before the big bang.

The problem arises - if time did not exist, neither did change. If change did not exist, then the Bid Bang should never have happened at all - everything should have stayed static. Why didn't that happen? Or is our premise itself wrong - time did, in fact, exist before the Big Bang, therefore making the initial state something of a transient one?

Any answer?
                          In catholic / orthodox theology, the time did not exist as well before Son and Holy Spirit were, uh, done within God. And as the Holy Spirit is what is responsible for everything happening in the world, I am not suprised one of the popes wanted to make Big Bang an official catholic version of creation of the world...
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

I want to talk about ether. Will i be quartered?
                            What?

Comment

KH

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Precisely.

I was asking a more general, almost philosophical question about the paradox that occurs if we talk about a "beginning of time". Not specifically about the Big Bang. I'm not really that interested in the physics theory, because the question is logical in nature, not physical.
                                We've already gotten the answer. Turtles. Turtles, all the way down.

Honestly, we'll never know, but it's fun (in a headache-inducing way) to think about. My solution is this: hang it all, let's go get a cookie.

I've become a much happier (and heavier) person since adopting this philosophy.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X