No announcement yet.

The Big Bang time paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should I tell you when you have that attitude?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      Why should I tell you when you have that attitude?
      Because you don't really have much of a leg to stand on in mocking the ignorance of others if you aren't willing to put at least as much effort into cooperating with their sincere efforts to inform themselves as you put into ridiculing their ignorance.

In short you're making yourself part of the problem you claim to find so absurd.

Comment

Because you don't really have much of a leg to stand on in mocking the ignorance of others

I never mock simple ignorance. I mock ignorance combined with an inability to acknowledge one's own ignorance.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Because you don't really have much of a leg to stand on in mocking the ignorance of others

I never mock simple ignorance. I mock ignorance combined with an inability to acknowledge one's own ignorance.
          then why didn't you answer Eli?

Comment

Siro? Because he was snappy.

I'm also a prima donna.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm also a prima donna.
              yeah siro. I must be getting avatars mixed up in additon to getting too lazy to read their actual names. Time to return to civ IV for a while I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                I've heard theories that the universe collapses upon itself and then another big bang occurs in a repeating cycle.
                Ah yes, sometimes called the "Big Bounce" theory.

To me, it makes more sense than the Big Bang theory. It explains aneeshm's paradox.

It also can explain Zkribbler's paradox:
                If the universe consists of matter and anti-matter, why did it explode rather than implode? It should have self annilated.

Comment

Anyhow, the "real" answer is that the idea of an instantaneous "Big Bang" is not the current accepted model. What is currently envisioned is (going back from today) Normal physics -> Inflationary epoch (closest thing to "Big Bang") -> pre-inflation Universe

The Universe was in existence. Then something caused it to expand rapidly. Then something caused the rapid expansion to stop. At no point does time disappear from the model. Cosmology says nothing about the origin of the pre-expansion Universe. Maybe it was there forever. Maybe not. Maybe it had already expanded and contracted before. Maybe not. We have no data. We don't even understand the middle step (inflation) very well, so postulating about anything further back is pretty useless.

Happy?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So the Big-Bang creation theory can explain everything but the creation of the universe?

Oh yeah. I'm happy.

Comment

There is no Big Bang creation theory. There is no creation theory. There is no Big Bang.

There is inflationary cosmology and post-inflation cosmology.

We never claimed to have all the answers. But when we get answers, they're good answers, with strong predictive or explicative power and they have lots of decimal points.

You're free to spin wild flights of fancy if you want. But don't think that it's science.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh, and right now inflationary cosmology (what there is of it) doesn't even explain inflation. It merely describes it (badly)
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, in the meantime you can just make something up. Have fun coming up with a scientific explanation of the "beginning of time" that doesn't sound like utterly paradoxical nonsense.

EDIT: Addressed to ZKrib.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            So the Big-Bang creation theory can explain everything but the creation of the universe?

Oh yeah. I'm happy.
                            Well in fact in the current theory, even Big Bang is a bit of a misnomer (I guess even in the previous one it was, but even more now).
                            What KH talks about is called cosmic inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                              then why didn't you answer Eli?
                              yeah siro. I must be getting avatars mixed up in additon to getting too lazy to read their actual names. Time to return to civ IV for a while I guess.

HAHA!

Another one nailed!

I'm also a prima donna.
                              So you like to dish it out (accusing everyone of being ignorant fools), but can't take a little snappiness?

Comment

so before inflation was the universe a singularity?
                                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Working...
                                X