• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunken teen stumbles into wrong home

Drunken teen stumbles into wrong home
    Nov. 30, 2006. 12:25 PM
    CURTIS RUSH
    STAFF REPORTER

A Burlington teen who wandered into the wrong home after a Saturday night party will not be charged with break and enter, Halton Regional police said today.

Instead, the 16-year-old was charged under the Provincial Offences Act with drinking under age and turned over to his mother.

Police spokesman Peter Payne say that as a result of a "misadventure," the drunken teen stumbled into the wrong home in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The homeowner, Don Shaxon, wanted more serious charges laid and complained to the police and media.

Earlier in the evening, police broke up a house party next door to the Shaxon home.

The youth had stumbled outside. When he went to return to the house, he walked into the wrong home, police say.

The homeowner, Shaxon, was awakened by his dog barking. The 30-year-old followed the dog down the basement stairs and around a corner into the laundry room. There, he discovered the intruder.

"I grabbed him by the throat and started punching him," Shaxon told the Hamilton Spectator. "He dropped to the ground and I just started smashing his head into the concrete. I said, 'If you move, I'm going to end up killing you. I've got two kids here.'"

Shaxon has a wife and two daughters, a 10-year-old and a newborn.

Police arrived and took the youth in and laid the liquor charge that night.

Payne, the police spokesperson, said both the youth and homeowner were interviewed and a team of investigators was assigned to the case.

The Chief of Police Gary Crowell personally reviewed the case as well.

Crowell said that the "laying of more serious criminal charges would not have been appropriate and would have been a misuse of the criminal justice system."

Police say they will not be releasing further details.
    So uh.....

Dude leaves his door unlocked. Kid in a drunken stupor enters the wrong home and crashes.

Guy comes down and admittedly beats the **** out of him, smashes his head into the concrete floor, and threatens to kill him.

Said guy then is very upset when the police refuse to charge the kid with breaking and entering and clamours for more charges.

The cops should be charging the home owner for assault.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Yeah, the owner should do some time.

Besides who the hell leaves his doors unlocked?
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

The force does seem excessive to subdue/detain a drunken youth.

I wouldn't be surprised if a charge against the owner were to follow.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
        Besides who the hell leaves his doors unlocked?
        Many Canadians. I generally lock my door but have overlooked it often.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I cant believe he is actually bragging about smashing the teens head to the concrete to the press...

- Paul Valery

Comment

Where's Ozzy when you need him?
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Locking doors is a relatively new habit.
              You shouldn't have to lock doors, bar windows, raise the drawbridge.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm sorry. But who is not intelligent enough to use the lock in their front door. Why do they have that lock in the first place?

- Paul Valery

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you, because you were raised in the times that necessitate it.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

People in Burlington. It's very much a blue collar town.

The man's probably a factory worker who gets off on being a macho man. His comments to the media of what really went down are probably going to get him charged. Big man, he is.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I was raised in the City. For centuries people have locked their doors. Whats going on here?

- Paul Valery

Comment

Re: Drunken teen stumbles into wrong home

Originally posted by Asher

The cops should be charging the home owner for assault.
                        No.

Everything turned out fine IMO.

This kid is lucky. In Texas, he could have been shot.

And I've been pretty messed up before. I don't know how you go to the wrong house. That's just ridiculous.

But that homeowner has a right to defend his family. Some stranger enters your house in the middle of the night, especially in a drunken stupor, you don't know what the hell is going on. And there's a newborn in the house? So what if the guy accidently left his door unlocked. That's irrelevant. That's not an invitation for trespassers to come into your house.

Someone comes into my house, they will get a beat down. If they resist, they will suffer severe bodily harm and/or death.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Anyway all this reminds me of that Norvegian fellow who was to wasted he accidentally broke into a prison. 2 months ago i think

- Paul Valery

Comment

Re: Re: Drunken teen stumbles into wrong home

Originally posted by Sava
                            No.

Everything turned out fine IMO.

This kid is lucky. In Texas, he could have been shot.

And I've been pretty messed up before. I don't know how you go to the wrong house. That's just ridiculous.
                            For one, he wasn't returning to his house. He was returning to the house the party was at, to crash. The guy's door was unlocked, he was drunken and clearly tired. Makes sense to me how it can happen.

But that homeowner has a right to defend his family.
                            Defend, yes. Beat the hell out of a drunken teenager who is trying to crash, way overkill --> charges.

I get your macho-macho man attitude, and that's precisely what I peg this guy with. Fact is, it's wrong. There's appropriate force, and I'd imagine a 30 year old guy could detain a drunken, tired 16 year old without punching him in the face, then smashing his head into the concrete floor after he had the guy pinned.

Macho-man dumb-ass needs to spend time getting ass-raped in pris-on.

Comment

well youre going to have some license to subdue someone in your house, as long as youre not really trying to mess them up. But as wezil says I wouldnt be suprised if the owner was sued even if he only gave the kid a 'light' beating
                              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                              X