Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When special interests conspire to limit choices and harm consumers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    WalMart
    Unions

I'm all for unions, too.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

So I take it your position is

Civil unions

Gay marriage
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

hardy har har
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

The main reason for the exception was because Costco threatened to sue. Costco is a place were mostly upper class people shop for discounted luxury goods

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I stand by that remark. The average Costco shopper do indeed have a higher yearly household income then the average Walmart shopper. I recall a business week article a few years back which was tauting Costco as the king of retail since they'd food the right market niche where they not only catter to an upper middle class affluent buyer but also sell them things in bulk so that the shoppers spend more during each trip.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I stand by that remark. The average Costco shopper do indeed have a higher yearly household income then the average Walmart shopper. I recall a business week article a few years back which was tauting Costco as the king of retail since they'd food the right market niche where they not only catter to an upper middle class affluent buyer but also sell them things in bulk so that the shoppers spend more during each trip.
              Here you go to the Costco, and you mainly see immigrants. They buy in bulk, which works cause they either have large families, or, in many cases, multiple families live together. Yeah, there are SOME suburbanites who stock up on stuff in bulk, and they may well have a higher income on average than Walmart shoppers (but plenty of middle income folks shop at Walmart) but its hardly like the crowd you find at Nordstroms.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

True, Nordstroms is indeed near the apex of the high budget retail establishments.

Comment

True, Nordstroms is indeed near the apex of the high budget retail establishments.
                  No, there are plenty of pricier boutiques. Nordstroms draws upper middle class and up here.

Lets put it differently - Costco doesnt attract a higher class clientele than, say JC Penney does here. Probably a larger spread at BOTH ends of the spectrum, though.

Comment

In California people generally do look down on JC Penney's and it is considered to be slightly above a Walmart or Target but without the steep price discounts. Judging by the number of BMWs, pricey SUVs, and other yuppy accrutiments parked in front of Costco they're pulling a some what more well heeled clientile.

The type of people who can spend $20 on french cheeses, $200 on a case of wine, and buy pricey Italian leather sofas. Sure, there is lots of other stuff there but Costco is clearly in the business of selling asperational items in bulk of less.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                      Why doesn't Che like Walmart? It's one of the biggest supporters of communism.

Che why do you hate communism?
                      because i'm a hypocrite and i am teh suck
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You're joking, right?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I walked into a Nordstroms, once.

I looked at the price of a dress shirt.

I turned around and left.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My wife buys a bunch of stuff at Nordstrom's.

That's pretty much the lowest-tier retailer she'll frequent.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Had to double your poker-sharking hours, didn't ya?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Nah. She makes a bunch more than me, so it's all her money. I haven't played serious poker in a while. Doing too much research.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X