No announcement yet.

The 100 most influential British?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed Douglas Adams, sorry, not influential enough.
    Not adding Rowling, just another good author.
    Not adding Bobby Moore, he may have been a great footballer, but where's the influence?
    Not adding C.S. Lewis.

Added 31 names.
    be free

Comment

• I remember a british captain, lead a fleet of Man-o-Wars, etc? Attacking Spanish fleets? Something like that, I can't remember.
      be free

Comment

• Morgan and Drake are the most famous pirates, but I think you mean Nelson, the trafalgar one, for destroying the spanish and english fleet, it influenced directly the napoleonic wars, and indirectly latin america, since it was left with no connection with spain, and made independence easier.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

• No, I believe he's referring to Russell Crowe. Though I liked him best in LA Confidential, he was good in Gladiator too.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Yeah Russell Crowe, thats it. :|

Nelson, I think he deserves a place on the list. Thanks Brachy.
            be free

Comment

• 1. Isaac Newton: An action causes an equal and opposite reaction...

2. James Watt: Industrial Revolution, 'nuff said

3. Charles Darwin: "Nothing in Biology makes sense unless in the light of Evolution" -Dobzansky

4. Henry VIII: Without his problems having male kids the England would be Catholic

5. Adam Smith: The father of Economics

6. William Shakespeare: Greatest English-speaking playwright of all time

7. Alfred the Great: Pwned the Danes and united England under his rule

8. Oliver Cromwell: Pwned the Divine Right of Kings

9. John Maynard Keynes: Showed that government spending stimulated the economy.

10. Edward III: Started the 100 Years War.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
                Bell moved to America when he was fairly young and did all of his important research.inventing there.
                Canada.

And then finally to the US.

Hense the whoosh that most don't realise about Dauphin's comments in the other thread.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  Who has Douglas Adam's inspred in Britian? Just interested.

JM
                  Dunno, but he seems to have inspired an American to crusade against his inclusion in some list on some internet forum.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Charles Babbage

Comment

Who has Douglas Adam's inspred in Britian? Just interested.

JM
                      To revisit this again

Me

And certainly the writers of Red Dwarf which of course is one of the best comedy shows ever
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Ah yes - Red Dwarf. Good call.

Remember Stinger - people like you, me and the millions whose universes have been changed by Douglas Adams are irrelevant from Jon's perpective, as we are nobodies, not successful writers that Americans have heard of.

Comment

• A couple examples, which it has taken you days to provide, aren't enough to suggest that something was influential.

And yes, I have watched Red Dwarf also.

I know it is important to you (you haven't told me how yet, other than that you appreciate the humor), but that does not make something influential enough to be incliuded in a top 100 most influential list.

This list isn't about what your favorite is or what is most important to you.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I wasn't sure if he was British, but he is:

His vision of satellites for means of communication definately had a profound impact on the world we live in now.
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

A couple examples, which it has taken you days to provide, aren't enough to suggest that something was influential.

And yes, I have watched Red Dwarf also.

I know it is important to you (you haven't told me how yet, other than that you appreciate the humor), but that does not make something influential enough to be incliuded in a top 100 most influential list.

This list isn't about what your favorite is or what is most important to you.

JM
                              Easy Tiger, I've given it about 2 minutes in the last few days on the point of Douglas Adams.

Half the people on the US list I've never heard of but for some reason thats ok.

I'd be very suprised if more than 10% of the people on this board haven't heard of Douglas Adams, of course that doesn't make him influential and maybe he is just too english to make him universally aclaimed as the great talent and INFLUENCE he was. The fact though that a major Hollywood film of one of his books was made is quite impressive for a nerdy english guy.
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Err, there was a DnD film...

Really, you guys are rediculous.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X