"Bleeding-Heart Liberal" is a Misnomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Pwn3d. Liberals make on average 6% more than conservatives yet they approve of higher taxes.
    I twould be rather interesting to see how much as a perecentage of annual reported income is actually paid in taxes for both groups.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Look at the "Bleeding heart liberals", trying to explain it all away, just like the books says.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sloww believes everything he reads... better get him a Communist Manifesto, quick
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Good recap but lets add a few more:

Originally posted by Arrian
          So, to recap:

Liberals (generally) think that the poor, sick and otherwise needy should be cared for (to a greater degree) by the government, which is funded by taxation.
          Which implies if necessary a compulsion by force.

Conservatives (generally) think that the poor, sick and otherwise need should be cared for (primarily?) by charity, funded by private donations.
          Which conservatives feel morally compelled to do in direst circumstance but also believe that the primary means to break the cycle of dependency is to encourage self reliance when and where ever possible. To the extent that people can't make ends meet private charity is a personal moral imperative but should not be a state compulsion.

Yet conservatives pay taxes into a system that redistributes wealth via government (liberal idea), and liberals donate to charity (conservative idea). The difference, of course, is that there isn't much choice re: taxes, whereas donation to charity is entirely voluntary.

-Arrian

Given compulsion vs. freely giving. Seems that might be an edge in the moral high ground no?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Sloww believes everything he reads... better get him a Communist Manifesto, quick
            I've read it, and don't buy it.
            So much for another of your theories.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
              I'm surprised at how accepting everyone is of this person's conclusions. The Hoover Institution is one of those neocon/libertarian thinktanks dedicated to churning out stuff like this.
              It took 25 posts before we had the first look at the source comment. Must be a record.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I've read it, and don't buy it.
                So much for another of your theories.
                Oh well, I was trying to give you a break. Guess you are just an idiot then with no explination .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                  Sowell is the one commenting on the study, he isn't the one who did the study. As his column mentioned, the guy doing the study expected the opposite result and was surprized by the outcome. Nice try.
                  The guy doing the study was Arthur Brooks, author of 'The Fertility Gap'. Most likely the 'surprise' is a facade.

Comment

Yeah, the difference in "charitable" giving between the two groups likely has a huge amount to do with giving tithes to churches. That just isn't charity; it is protection money paid by the gullible. Most of it doesn't help people in need and instead is just an extortion of the faithful on pain of eternal damnation.

If we ignore such noncharitable "Charitable giving" then I'd bet the liberals actually give more. If we measured the impact those charitable givings actually have on the needy then the same would likely still be true. I know I will be getting a $1000 deduction this year for donating an old car to NPR. I think of that as my donation to help educate the ignorant masses.
                    Last edited by Dinner; November 28, 2006, 19:04.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The article is stupid. This discussion is ridiculous. It's an argument about generalizations and stereotypes.

I'll say one thing: the fact that we need charity is an indictment of our society. Government (at all levels) is the legitimate organization of public resources and power. It shouldn't even be a question of whether or not public resources and power should be used for the general welfare of the people. The question should be to what extent. I believe the most prudent answer is to give people the equal opportunity to succeed by providing education, health care, job training, and forms of assistance to unemployed individuals who are actively seeking employment. It's not the state's job to support the public, but it's in the state's best interest to give people that opportunity because a productive citizenry can produce revenue in the form of taxes, promotes stability, and can provide for themselves; thus reducing the need for such welfare.

I'm not going to comment on the origins of the conservative thought processes. Each person believes what they do for whatever reason. The fact is, if people participate in organizing government to work towards solving problems instead of abandoning the opportunity for economic prosperity, increased productivity, and social progress; then we would see real change. Unfortunately, we have a failure of leadership at all levels of government. There are too many people with their own agendas who don't care about what's good for the nation or good for the world.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Sowell is the one commenting on the study, he isn't the one who did the study. As his column mentioned, the guy doing the study expected the opposite result and was surprized by the outcome. Nice try.
                        Do we know the author? Are we certain that he really expected a different result?

I remember a debate over gun control a few years ago and a well known, even respected study done by a so called liberal sociologist which demonstrated a surprising benefit of "defensive gun use". Even though this study won over some political liberals, like Senator Lieberman, the study's data contained some glaring inconsistencies that to a more than glancing review easily demonstrated the study's errors.

In this instance it didn't take a few amateurs like ourselves more than a few minutes to realise that not all charities are equal. Certain many of them do not at all reflect the donors' caring or compassion.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Yep, I'd bet that the difference is largely due to tithes. As for normalizing for wealth, it's important to note that liberals tend to live in places with high costs of living, so that a 6% higher income might not mean very much. Furthermore, liberals tend to live in states with income taxes. So with the higher federal income taxes, a higher chance of having state income taxes, and higher costs of living, the 6% figure is highly misleading. A pretty silly review (not that I expect anything else from the National Review) of a pretty sillly study Few hard numbers, doesn't mention the sample size or methodololgy, etc.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

the author's web site is pretty partisan and short on facts, and I can't find any reviews of the book in any non-bat**** crazy publication. I wouldn't put any stock into his methodology...

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                              Good recap but lets add a few more:

Which implies if necessary a compulsion by force.

Which conservatives feel morally compelled to do in direst circumstance but also believe that the primary means to break the cycle of dependency is to encourage self reliance when and where ever possible. To the extent that people can't make ends meet private charity is a personal moral imperative but should not be a state compulsion.

Given compulsion vs. freely giving. Seems that might be an edge in the moral high ground no?
                              All taxation is compulsion by force, regardless of whether the taxes are then spent on social programs or something else (military, for instance). Of course, taxation is decided upon by a government of the people, by the people and all that jazz. You know, "no taxation without representation." Our is a system of taxation with representation. Waaah, how awful and terrible.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh, and I made a deliberate choice to not question the source - just for the sake of argument. I'm actually quite suspicious of the source.

Sloww - don't be a moron, please. I know it's hard, but do try.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X