No announcement yet.

"Member nations must accept difficult assignments"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I hope NATO does collapse. Maybe these coutries are much more willing to invest in the future of common EU defense than some Cold War relic.

I think EU defense would probably be a good deal more solid with the US military backing it

Comment

RIGA, Latvia (CP) - The war in Afghanistan will be the main topic of conversation Tuesday when Prime Minister Stephen Harper meets with NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer at a two-day summit in Riga, Latvia.

Speaking to a forum before the NATO summit, de Hoop Scheffer insisted the alliance will prevail in its first mission outside Europe. He also expressed hopes that by 2008, Afghan forces could begin taking over security tasks.

"I would hope that by 2008, we'll have made considerable progress . . . (with) effective and trusted Afghan security forces gradually taking control," he said.

The dangers to the NATO force were underscored by recent attacks that have shattered a period of relative calm. Two Canadian soldiers were killed Monday in a suicide bombing on the outskirts of Kandahar City.

A day earlier, a suicide bomber killed 15 Afghans in a restaurant.

De Hoop Scheffer is not expected to report much progress in convincing European members of the Alliance to send additional troops to Afghanistan - or more importantly removing restrictions on those already operating there.

Germany, Italy, Spain and Norway are unlikely to budge, despite pressure from Canada, the United States, the Netherlands and Britain, diplomatic sources told the Canadian Press.

"Other NATO nations have troops there, but have imposed caveats on the use of them and on the use of their equipment - this at a time when NATO's commanders on the ground urgently require additional manpower," said Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga.

"NATO cannot afford to lose this crucial struggle against the regressive forces of a resurgent insurgency by being indecisive or lacking commitment," she said.

France is preparing to assume an expanded role in the Afghan mission, and officials said President Jacques Chirac would propose forming a contact group on Afghanistan to ensure that a global strategy guides NATO action in the country.

"The Europeans have relied on their American allies for too long. They have to shoulder their share of the burden," Chirac said in a statement.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair planned to remind leaders that NATO has a significant role to play in rebuilding the country.

"His message essentially will be, first of all, that Afghanistan wants to know that NATO is there for the long haul," Blair's official spokesman said Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government policy.

Italy was expected to announce the lifting of restrictions in extreme circumstances.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said in the past that while her country's units will remain based in the north, they could be sent for short-term, emergency missions elsewhere in the country.

Harper, who arrived at the summit Tuesday morning, will also meet with Poland's president, Lech Kaczynski.

Poland has committed roughly 900 extra combat troops for use in the volatile southern region, where heavy fighting ha claimed the lives of 44 Canadian soldiers.

Denmark is expected to announce it will send an additional communications support team to Kabul, but the contribution is a drop in the bucket compared with the 2,500 combat troops NATO commanders have requested.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Does anybody know of a map like that in the article that shows not just where Nato troops are deployed in Afghanistan but also where other contributors forces are? Don't Australia and even countries like New Zealand and Finland still have some troops deployed there?

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

good god!

There sure *as HELL* is no common foreign policy in the EU! You held up the possibility of an EU based alliance as an alternative to NATO! The EU??
          Yeah, its going to be fantastic! Getting rid of the last post WW2 security structure would be truely liberating. Maybe we should call that a "mission enduring freedom" or something
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Geronimo -

The last deployment numbers I saw were from 2005. New Zealand had a few troops (token) but no Aussies.

Not NATO members so we can forgive that.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
              Does anybody know of a map like that in the article that shows not just where Nato troops are deployed in Afghanistan but also where other contributors forces are? Don't Australia and even countries like New Zealand and Finland still have some troops deployed there?
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                Quite sure.
                I think transporting things which are used to build schools and training policemen (which is among other things what the german forces do in Afghanistan) is of as much use as shooting Taliban

You are better at shooting things and we are better at rebuilding things
                And it sure is better to rebuild things at places (i.e. in the relatively safe north) were they won´t immediately be blown to pieces again be it intentionally or by accident by american or Taliban forces
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Can we all have the rebuilding chores?

While we're at it, can we share the more dangerous tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

I hear very little news here (NL) about anybody being pissed at Germany, France or others.

There is great concern though about the situation our government has put our troops in: it was supposed to be save there, and we would be building schools and hospitals. But the government has been forced to send in much more combat troops in as previously envisaged, and parliament is not very happy about it.
                    The thing about war, is that there is, you know, an opponent. The Taliban saw the shift in the south happening, and apparently decided to target what they saw as the weak spot (political weak spot, that is).
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                      Can we all have the rebuilding chores?

While we're at it, can we share the more dangerous tasks?
                      You?

You mean Halliburton. Maybe they dont want to throw away hundreds of millions of dollars.
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• If countries are authorizing their troops to be used for emergency missions, will they allow their CO in Afghanistan to make the decision? Or is he going to have to call the homeland before getting the go ahead?
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius

We dont want to be part of a US military reserve. It makes much more sense to actually be part of a real defense alliance.
                          One could say that for 40 years the US and Canada were part of Europes military reserve. There were some here who said that.

The more far seeing realized that an attack on our Western European allies would endanger us as well. It seems that some in Europe also realize that AQ attacks on the US endanger them as well.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yeah, its going to be fantastic! Getting rid of the last post WW2 security structure would be truely liberating. Maybe we should call that a "mission enduring freedom" or something
                            Getting rid of the UN would be liberating, by the same logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

The thing about war, is that there is, you know, an opponent. The Taliban saw the shift in the south happening, and apparently decided to target what they saw as the weak spot (political weak spot, that is).
                              Well, surprise suprise, it was our government who said it was all peachy down there, not the opposisition that had a few conceirns about the whole deal
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

You?

You mean Halliburton. Maybe they dont want to throw away hundreds of millions of dollars.
                                *sigh*

Unable to read articles or posts and a seeming one trick pony.

Does my Ignore list need a second member?

Comment

Working...
                                X