My goverment is stupid- Piracy tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144
    the tax is actually nothing short of brilliant. too bad its execution is poor

the far better place to do it would be in ipods, headphones, speakers, and things like that.
    Headphones? Speakers? Even worse. You buy a CD player to listen to music on CDs you buy at the store and you're taxes on the headphones you use?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I would gladly pay such a tax, if the **AA's of the world would just go back to their castles and manors and focus on collecting their money, rather than suing people and attempting to force DRM on the rest of us
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Headphones? Speakers? Even worse. You buy a CD player to listen to music on CDs you buy at the store and you're taxes on the headphones you use?
        you can recieve credits back on the tax you pay for each CD you pay for
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That's ridiculous. You put a tax of X$ on headphones and you think people will send in proof of purchase to get a few cents of credit on each CD they buy?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know, but if theres going to be a tax, might as well make it feel like youre a kid again, sending in UPCs to get a prize
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

We had that a while ago. It totally sucked. Blank CDs became ridiculously expensive, at almost 1 USD per piece! Fortunately, the prices are back to normal now.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

the tax is actually nothing short of brilliant.
                So when my band buys hundreds of blank CD's to distribute our own material, often free, we have to pay a tax to make rich execs and established artists even richer?

Brilliant.

Comment

its an investment in your future! you should be able to write it off as a business expense

Comment

I actually dont support the tax, I just want to see how absurd I can get with it.

Comment

Business expenses are only useful if you've got taxable income to offset it against. The average loss-making band (99% of the bands on the planet) are not in such a position.

Comment

I actually dont support the tax, I just want to see how absurd I can get with it.
                        Fair enough.

Comment

Well, that should be incentive for you to actually make a profit cort.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

So when my band buys hundreds of blank CD's to distribute our own material, often free, we have to pay a tax to make rich execs and established artists even richer?

Brilliant.
                            If the same model is applied as the GEMA uses,
                            then you should include "classical singers" (like tenors and the like)
                            into this group.

For some strange reason classical music is vastly subsidized by the GEMA,
                            meaning that they get an overproportional share of the money the GEMA makes (the GEMA doesn´t distribute the money to the individual artist according to the CD sales (which would be fair) but rather use a complex distribution model which is only loosely based on the sales of CDs and the like.
                            If you are a rather unknown mainstream artist (for example a pop singer) youz get next to nothing if you are a member of GEMA, if you are a classical singer however you get much more than this mainstream artist, even if you sell only a fraction of the CDs this mainstream artist sells and give less concerts than this mainstream artist does
                            (Same goes AFAIK for german Folk music which is subsidized as well (which lets one guess that the GEMA execs subsidize music according to their own tastes and not according to the performance of the artists
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

USA pays taxes on all but medicine and food bought to prepare at home.

Quit whining. Get no sympathy from me.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A few percent sales tax on all consumer goods is hardly the same as a targetted tax of ~100% (or more)
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X