Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East, particularly in Saudi Arabia, where a government study has found that 56.8% of all marriages are between first and second cousins or more distant relatives.
    Meaningless statistics alert.

OR MORE DISTANT RELATIVES.

In other news ,

Marriages between relatives are widespread in the U.S, particularly in California, where a government study has found that 100% of all marriages are between first and second cousins or more distant relatives.

I can't believe there's already a few posts on this without anybody mentionning this.
    Some people need their BS radar fixed.

Btw, I am not saying that there is not a lot of close relative marrying going around over there. It could be true, or not.
    I am just pointing out that the "information" given was actually no information at all.
    If those "percentages strike (you) as unbelievably high", it'd be great if they actually carried information, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Lul Thyme; November 26, 2006, 11:29.

Comment

I disregard stupidy like this about California.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Someone thinks Californians often marry relatives?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Moron. Go car shopping.
          Got one. Now I have all the time in the world just to taunt you
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            I disregard stupidy like this about California.
            If you include "and more distant relative" then by definition, everyone married is married to a relative and the stat becomes meaningless.

So in fact this stupidy I wrote is trivially true.
            And void of information, just like the OP.

I don't think that Californians often marry close relatives, I think you and Oerdin missed the point.

Comment

IMHO one should think that especially fundamentalists should have a very positive attitude towards incest.

After all, how many humans created god according to the bible?
              2, a man and a woman.
              Therefore although AFAIK it isn´t mentioned in the bible, people who take the bible literally should come to the conclusion that the children of Adam and Eve could not do anything other than having sex with their brothers/sisters (or alternatively with their parents)
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

It's not surprising. Middle-East culture barely allows for boys to meet girls, so people marry someone from the small circle they know.

You'll notice the figure is the smallest in Egypt, the country in the area that is the least socially regressive.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  I'm fairly confident it was never the case in Croatia and neighbouring countries. Maybe Catholicism has a bigger taboo on cousin marriages than other religions?

I think it's illegal to marry first and second cousins if you're a Catholic, only the third are an option.
                  It surely isn't Catholicism. In the past, there was a special permit issued by the Vatican - the dispense - that would allow you to marry your cousin. It was VERY frequently used among aristocracy in all Europe and not too hard to obtain for commoners either. I'm pretty confident, you weren't free from it in Croatia either.
                  One "thumb rule" is: the higher the mountains, the narrower the valley and the bigger the distance to bigger population centers, the higher familiar endogamy. Islands also may qualify.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Among the Hindus of India, it is incest to marry anyone of the same family, no matter how distant. Marriages between first and second cousins disgust people here, and are usually not spoken of or discussed in polite company.

According to Spiffor, that makes Hindu society the most progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      According to Spiffor, that makes Hindu society the most progressive.
                      I don't know enough about the origins of the Hindu civilization to speak about that

That said, I always thought of India as being traditionally much less oppressive than the monotheist cultures wrt sex.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Marriages between first and second cousins disgust people here, and are usually not spoken of or discussed in polite company.
                        That's not really true. I know of several families in which second-cousin marriages have occurred. They're mostly large, Hindu family businesses.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Marriage within the extended family has always been rather common. Most people never travelled more than a few miles from where they lived, who else would they meet?
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

That's not really true. I know of several families in which second-cousin marriages have occurred. They're mostly large, Hindu family businesses.
                            Doesn't change the fact that it is forbidden.

Brahmins have an extra restriction. They are not allowed to marry anyone of the same gotra. This rule is no longer followed, however.

Gotra refers to the lineage. Every Brahmin is considered a descendant of some or the other great sage of antiquity. So marrying within the same lineage is considered incest.

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that it is forbidden.
                              Doesn't change the fact that it's not really the case that "[m]arriages between first and second cousins disgust people here, and are usually not spoken of or discussed in polite company."
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Doesn't change the fact that it's not really the case that "[m]arriages between first and second cousins disgust people here, and are usually not spoken of or discussed in polite company."
                                At least in my family, we don't like such things. I'm personally repulsed by such things. A friend of mine, who comes from a wealthy business family, told me that all marriages not just within the family, but also with anyone of the same surname, were forbidden.

Comment

Working...
                                X