Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East

MARRYING CLOSE TO HOME

Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East, particularly in Saudi Arabia, where a government study has found that 56.8% of all marriages are between first and second cousins or more distant relatives.

Percentage of marriages between relatives in several Saudi provinces surveyed as well as other countries in the region:

JORDAN: 50.2%

IRAQ: 57.9%

KUWAIT: 54.3%

BAHRAIN: 39.4%

U.A.E.: 61.6%

EGYPT: 28.9%

SAUDI ARABIA

Northern Province: 52.1%

North Western Province: 67.7%

South Western Province: 54.2%

Central Province: 60.8%

Eastern Province: 59.1%

Rub Al-Khali

The Saudi government study involved a survey of 3,212 families in five Saudi provinces in 1995.

SOURCE: Saudi Arabian government agencies

Supposedly, they marry cousins to retain wealth in the family. Still these percentages strike me as unbelievably high. Granted, probably most of them aren't between first cousins. Too bad the text doesn't break up the figures that way so we could see that.

So, what are the stats for your neck of woods?

I live in East Anglia. I swear I see people who's family trees haven't branched in generations.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Yeah, use to be the case in England and America also.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm fairly confident it was never the case in Croatia and neighbouring countries. Maybe Catholicism has a bigger taboo on cousin marriages than other religions?

I think it's illegal to marry first and second cousins if you're a Catholic, only the third are an option.

Comment

It's illegal here. Jon is used to West Virginia, which is somewhat middle east in USA.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That was never the case in the US other then a few rural areas where just about everyone in the area was related.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

At least among the royal families it is no wonder IMHO.

In europe the same thing was common among noble families, too.
              Which resulted in hemophilia being common in the royal bloodline.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                I'm fairly confident it was never the case in Croatia and neighbouring countries. Maybe Catholicism has a bigger taboo on cousin marriages than other religions?
                No. The prohibition on marrying close cousins is only a relatively recent one in human history.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Re: Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East

MARRYING CLOSE TO HOME

Marriages between relatives are widespread in the Middle East, particularly in Saudi Arabia, where a government study has found that 56.8% of all marriages are between first and second cousins or more distant relatives.

Percentage of marriages between relatives in several Saudi provinces surveyed as well as other countries in the region:

JORDAN: 50.2%

IRAQ: 57.9%

KUWAIT: 54.3%

BAHRAIN: 39.4%

U.A.E.: 61.6%

EGYPT: 28.9%

SAUDI ARABIA

Northern Province: 52.1%

North Western Province: 67.7%

South Western Province: 54.2%

Central Province: 60.8%

Eastern Province: 59.1%

Rub Al-Khali

DEEP SOUTH

Any of it: 99.9%

The Saudi government study involved a survey of 3,212 families in five Saudi provinces in 1995.

SOURCE: Saudi Arabian government agencies
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

No. The prohibition on marrying close cousins is only a relatively recent one in human history.
                    I thought there was some biblical prohabition or something.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Moron. Go car shopping.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's as recent as populations bigger than 20. It doesn't make sense to marry cousins, it's bad practice and most populations know this from instinct and the occassional kid born with three legs. So the first opportunity to marry outside of family was taken and this was thousands of years ago, at the very least when agriculture spread enough to enable higher population density, and this was looooong ago.

So no, West Virginians and Arabs don't have the excuse of being only slightly behind.

Comment

the biblical (And other placeS) is for marrying your sister

not your cousin, which is generally legal here

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I thought there was some biblical prohabition or something.
                            Hardly.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

It's as recent as populations bigger than 20.

It's far less recent that that. It's pretty much a 20th Century thing, and then only in the West.

Comment

Working...
                              X