No announcement yet.

Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada is a state of many nations, just like the US.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      Is there a quebec flag available on apolyton yet?
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

What?

Comment

If Quebec did seperate, how would this affect access to the sea on the St. Lawrence? Would they let transit pass or tollgate it? Would there be any other geographical issues (Northwest Passage?) What about other parts of Canada on the East (Labrador?) that would no longer touch the rest of Canada? Any chance that any of these states would also separate to join quebec or be on their own or devolve to England or etc.?

In all seriousness, how would things shake out?

Comment

The status of the St. Lawrence would be interesting. I don't know, but I would assume the GoQ would have an interest in continued commercial ties with both the RoC and the US. I would assume they would leave the waterway open but might have something to say about what loads could navigate the river.

The RoC would have some adjustment, but I highly doubt anyone would be clamouring to leave with Quebec or to go home to mama in London.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The effect on the RoC would be mainly psychological.

The main centres of wealth (outside of Quebec) are all West of Ottawa. Our major trade is with the US (North-South) and major areas of growth are across the Pacific rather than the Atlantic.

I would assume that rail traffic with the Maritimes could go through the US as easily as through an independent Quebec should their government become uncooperative.

All in all, it would be a shock. There would be great wailing and much gnashing of teeth, but in the long run I'm sure the people of Quebec and those in the RoC would maintain, or rebuild, a prosperous lifestyle.

The major adjustment, and this may piss off some of my Quebecois countrymen, would be that the people of Quebec would have to get used to paying their own way. The teat of federalism would be gone. No more bank rolling of Bombardier. No more daycare paid for with federal transfer cash. I'm sure they would do OK, but they might discover how unhard-done by they have been for quite some time.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Jeeeeezzzzz. The solution to this problem is so simple. If the Quebecois give you guys too much trouble just ask George to come up there and remind them that their big friend to the south is always there for them. Once they've thought out the implications I'm sure they'll quiet down.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

What did you learn? Or what aspect do you study?
                  Originally posted by Heresson
                  Funny... I'm just having lessons about Quebec as a part of my studies.
                  bleh

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

The major adjustment, and this may piss off some of my Quebecois countrymen, would be that the people of Quebec would have to get used to paying their own way. The teat of federalism would be gone. No more bank rolling of Bombardier. No more daycare paid for with federal transfer cash. I'm sure they would do OK, but they might discover how unhard-done by they have been for quite some time.
                    We have natural resources enough that I have to assume our quality of life wouldn't decline due to an end in fund transfers.

What would screw us is an isolationist government that wants to keep out the english, and alienate businesses.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

As I said "in the long run I'm sure the people of Quebec and those in the RoC would maintain, or rebuild, a prosperous lifestyle."

OTOH, I pointed out that you'd have to tax yourselves to pay for everything, and you would not have an entire nation bankrolling the only major aerospace firm located in your province.

I think the balance of cash comes out in favour of Confederation, but I am also perfectly willing to let the people of Quebec discover this for themselves.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                        What would screw us is an isolationist government that wants to keep out the english, and alienate businesses.
                        That could be a barrier to prosperity in itself.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Really, its the only reason I'm afraid of seperation.

But its a darned good reason.

This government is just incapable of handling minorities. I dont want to live in France junior.

Comment

I'm afraid of passing this mess on to the next generation.

Quebec seperatism has been the dominating federal issue for all of my adult life.

It has to have an end.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Quebec Seperatism will linger forever.

Its just a matter of how annoyed with Canada the general Quebecois public gets that determines how much it matters.

I have to believe that if the PQ gained power any earlier than they did in the 90's, I'd be living in a different province by now, and Quebec would be pretty darned ****ed.

Comment

It will linger until a generation in Ontario gets tired of living with it and tell the Quebecois to get stuffed. No more bribery to stay.

Then we'll see if the rubber hits the road.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X