Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    As for the OP, Harper's comments do not matter. The real problem is that Quebec hasn't signed Canada's constitution. Recognizing Quebec as a nation is peanuts compared to Meech or Charlottetown, so Harper is just pissing off both Anglo nationalists and Quebec separatists with an half assed declaration.
    I see this as an opportunity. It will very probably be swept under the rug but we're missing a chance to finally put this to rest, one way or another.
    What?

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
      Thanks MarkG for resurrecting this old pretext for a trollfest
      That too.
      What?

Comment

God I hate the Quebecois...

Comment

Nope: It's Québécois!
          bleh

Comment

Well gee, why don't they add in some backward p's and q's while they're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

Quebec hasn't signed the Canadian Constitution. You call that a non-story?
              Bad troll bad troll.

Quebec's place within the Canadian state is a never-ending story. I just don't see that much in Harper's comments
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                Bad troll bad troll.

Quebec's place within the Canadian state is a never-ending story. I just don't see that much in Harper's comments
                The Canadian state hasn't been able to constitute itself in a way that fully includes the members of its biggest minority - formerly known as one of its founding people - comprising about 24% of its population. That says a lot about the Canadian state.
                What?

Comment

Vive le Québec libre
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

What?

Comment

I see this as an opportunity. It will very probably be swept under the rug but we're missing a chance to finally put this to rest, one way or another.
                      But to a separatist this is only "finally" put to bed with secession. If there were 10 referenda to stay in Canada, they would not stop BUT if the secession side won ONCE that would be the final determination.

There is part of me that wished that there was a way to view the world as it would be in 10 years if Quebec actually did separate. There is part of me that thinks that Quebec would find itself far worse off while the remainder of Canada would do just fine.

Heck if just a fraction of the transfers to Quebec were spread among the other have-not provinces, that would go a long way in helping them out
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Nationalism: always a waste of time.

Comment

Is there a word in english for willful ignorance?
                          Or it could be that in English people from Quebec are called Quebeckers. Whine all you want that they are not calling them by their French name but that does not mean the BBC was incorrect in its English usage.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            If they're their own nation, they shouldn't be receiving our foreign aid.
                            SHUT UP! Your job is to subsidize them so they can continue to whine about how cruel you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              THis is one of those "non-story" stories. Like if they ask a politician if they beat their wife so that the headline can be that "Politician Denies beating wife".

Here, separatist politicians will periodically bring motions hoping to trip up federalist politicians in an attempt to re-ignite the issue. Canada is often talked about as having origins in the "union of two nations" or similar phrasing. I think Harper's comments merely reflect that.
                              Personally, if I was a native American I'd be pissed off about the discription of Canada being a union of two nations. I don't think the natives fall under the catagory of Brit/Irish or French nor do millions of other white Canadians whose ancestors came from other parts of Europe nor for Asian-Canadians.

I guess you could break everyone down by the language they speak but that seems crude. Better to just call everyone Canadian and avoid the whole origin BS.

Comment

I guess it's like the issue of illegal immigrants, call everyone an American and avoid the whole origin BS?
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X