Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphones: is it worth getting an expensive one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

That would require a back-channel to communicate with your sound source. Serious technology.
    My bluetooth desktop has a remote control/keyboard that can be used for switching from one song to another, but it requires installing another music player, so I never use it. And it´s not very portable.

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

That can´t be that hard... They have remotes for cars, DVD players and all sorts of things, surely they can make some for wireless headphones.

I say: Just do it
      When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

Well, there's a big difference between making it possible and making it right. If you limit it to a specific type of player/computer, it gets easier. If you accept the distance limitations of Bluetooth, it gets easier. But the fact remains, you're asking for a doubling of wireless bandwidth requirements along with a control technology initiative. How much more would you pay to add this functionality to your headphones?

Hey, I said not to get me started on wireless issues...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I don´t mind getting brain cancer from the bluetooth field, if that´s your concern

Oh, it must be something about sound quality Speak out!
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Nah, who cares about that.

Bluetooth is designed as a control protocol and as such is likely how a consumer backchannel control would be realized. The problem is that wireless needs to work as a system, so both the sound source and the wireless headphones would need to be in on the deal.

Regarding sound quality, it's true that most wireless systems have frequency response limitations. Further, they also need to use a companding process to squeeze wideband audio into the limited FM bandwidth they have available. This can cause audible "pumping" and "breathing" effects as the compressed audio is expanded back to "full" bandwidth on the receiver end.

This is why wireless systems intended for voice only (like cellular phones) are relatively easy when compared to musical applications. Voice reproduction is all about intelligibility, whch can be done within a bandwidth of roughly 150 Hz to 2,000 Hz.

Music is all about fidelity, so you want to get as close as possible to a "full" frequency response (usually specified as 20-20,000 Hz).

[rant] The Big Lie out there is that consumer wireless headsets can achieve that. (Your RS120 claims a response of "22Hz to 19,500Hz." ) This response spec is "achieved" by designing the specification to include frequencies that are -10 dB below the nominal response of the system. It's understandable and expected: customers want reassurance that it sounds good, and "other" manufacturers are cheating on specs, so it's almost necessary to lie just to appear competitive, even when you have the superior product. [/rant]

A $5000 wireless micropone system with the latest technology and all the trimmings manages to achieve 40 Hz to 18 kHz. What kind of frequency response (not to mention linearity) do you think you're really getting for about $100?

The answer is: not that bad. But it's foolhardy to believe it's anything approaching high fidelity.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I doubt these metal freaks can hear anything anyway. Just string 2 soup cans together and hang on your ears and pretend.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I can definitely hear the difference between my stock iPod earbuds and my Sennheiser's.

Most of my songs are ripped in AAC @ 224 Kbps. I recently concluded that it was over the top for a iPod, so I started ripping my songs @ 190 Kbps.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I'm a 192 man. Not going into all the research I did, but I'm 192.
                  190? Thats an odd bitrate.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I meant 192, of course

And that's for the iPod. For my Squeezebox, I ripped my tracks with Exact Audio Copy, all encoded in FLAC.
                    Last edited by Nostromo; November 25, 2006, 17:38.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

iTunes´music tracks are all ripped at 128

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Flac, I understand as lossless, but I haven't read at length. I know they're huge. Are they less size than regular CD wav?

Comment

Flac, I understand as lossless, but I haven't read at length. I know they're huge. Are they less size than regular CD wav?
                          They're about half the size. Its a lossless form of compression. For example, the White Album is 526 MB encoded in FLAC.

And, yes, they're huge, but hard drives are cheap.
                          Last edited by Nostromo; November 25, 2006, 17:58.

Comment

Koss Spark Plug

Koss Porta Pro
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I have 1200 albums on the pc alone, all in MP3.
                              The thought of doing something with flac at this point numbs my mind.

Comment

If this is downloaded music, don't sweat it, Sloww. With most people's equipment and listening conditions, they can't tell the difference.

But if this stuff has been saved from CD or vinyl for archival purposes, you definitely need to adjust your methods.

Comment

Working...
                                X