No announcement yet.

The next great step in civil rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not too comfortable with the social problems caused by polygamy, which is why I think the practice should remain stigmatized as all hell, and certainly not protected or condoned as an option for civil unions. However, if it's a religious plural marriage and all parties were consenting, there's no sense in wasting law enforcement's time and resources forcing it underground.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Originally posted by MrFun
      But the right of conscience has a long tradition in North America.

What we say we cherish and what we really do are two different things. Why do the Mormons live in Utah instead of Illinois? Why are unions so weak in the country? Why would less people want their children's teacher to be an atheist than a child molester? We like to pretend we're all tolerant and ****, but the truth is, we never really have been.

Relax man -- I myself pointed out a couple of historical examples of suppression of right of conscience.

But I refuse to oversimplify our country's history regarding the right of conscience by simply saying it was either ALL suppression or ALL liberty. Our country's history in this regards is more nuanced and complicated than the black/white viewpoint you seem to argue for. This history has its share of cruel suppression alongside with the liberty for others to exercise their right of conscience -- even later, more often than not, groups that were formerly suppressed have come to enjoy their right of conscience. Gays and lesbians today, however, have not yet achieved their equal right of conscience.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
        if it's a religious plural marriage and all parties were consenting
        That's a pretty big if.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
        X