No announcement yet.

US aims to relaunch dollar coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a reason Tim Hortons won't do business that way (mentioned by an earlier poster). Too slow.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Tim Horton's is now the authority on this? How... underwhelming.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Tim Horton's is now the authority on this? How... underwhelming.
        See one of their stores and you might understand. Extremely busy with small $$ purchases. Debit and/or credit purchases would bring them to a complete standstill.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Both debit and credit will soon be obsolete for small transactions anyway. Dexit has been test launched in Canada and a friend of mine at Interac tells me they are working on another quick pay system. Dexit is a little fob that you load with money and then pay at participating retailers simply by touching it to a sensor. No codes, zero wait time and instantly updated totals on the chip.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
            Both debit and credit will soon be obsolete for small transactions anyway. Dexit has been test launched in Canada and a friend of mine at Interac tells me they are working on another quick pay system. Dexit is a little fob that you load with money and then pay at participating retailers simply by touching it to a sensor. No codes, zero wait time and instantly updated totals on the chip.
            That would make more sense.

The other problem with debit/credit is verifying the charges at the end of the statement period. If I purchased everything for a month this way then I would have to spend considerable time confirming the statement. Days even.

Comment

The only problem that I see with this is that it's tough to sign up participating retailers. The credit card companies are just now signing up the remaining retailers who didn't accept cards.

I already have two stored value cards (Metrorail, laundry), so I know them to be handy for specific applications. But I'm skeptical that anybody would buy into a stored value network, when the credit cards handle that business fine. Maybe in other countries, where credit cards/internet access aren't ubiquitous, the stored value cards/fobs will gain more traction.
              Last edited by DanS; November 22, 2006, 13:49.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Get rid of the penny. (And don't ***** about sales tax, they can round it.)

Comment

Why not just list the price, tax included?

$7.25 or whatever.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Maybe in other countries, where credit cards/internet access aren't ubiquitous, the stored value cards/fobs will gain more traction.
                    The bigger issue, and certainly the one in play in Canada, is the nature of the financial services industy. Because we have a much greater concentration in this area than the US, we tend to be more on the cutting edge of financial transaction technology. It's simply much easier to bring stuff like this to market when five big players utterly dominate the field, and will often work together to develop new technologies (hence Interac).
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Why not just list the price, tax included?

$7.25 or whatever.
                      No...that's a bad idea. Makes things too easy for the tax man. Like withholding.

Comment

It makes things too easy for the politicians. I want to see the tax they are collecting.

Comment

Yeah, the US way of doing Sales tax is also annoying...
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If the fob doesn't survive a through the wash or some such, how do you get your money back? Gimme cash.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

No, its not because they are 'regarded... as worthless', it's because I don't want to carry around bulky coins in my pocket. Most American males, in my experience, do not. It's why the dollar coin hasn't taken off. Because we like our bills. We don't like carrying around coins.

there is only one solution. Bring back the man-purse.

Comment

Dexit is a little fob that you load with money and then pay at participating retailers simply by touching it to a sensor. No codes, zero wait time and instantly updated totals on the chip.
                                Sounds like it requires the customer to trust that the vendor's computers always get things right.

Having had to just pay $70 to the L.A. library for non-returned books that I never checked out I remain a sceptic.

Comment

Working...
                                X