US aims to relaunch dollar coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dis

I can do a credit card transaction just as fast as paying cash (and getting change).
    I was talking 'debit card' not credit. Would you use a credit card for a $1.39 coffee?

Also consider the cards that don't work (mag stripe compromised). You have to wait while the customer and cashier perform all their 'tricks' to get it to work. Cash is so much easier.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      They should put george bush on it.

American loonies.

Nope, Canadian loonies.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        If they look and feel to much like quarters then they will fail for the same reason the Susan B. Anthony silver dollars were rejected by the public.

Not quite true. The main problem was that they didn't work in vending machines back in '79-81. But in places where coin machines were changed to accept them they have contined to be used heavily. I understand this was particularly true in NY where exact change road tolls can be paid with them.

The new smooth-edged brassy-gold dollars neither look nor feel like quarters.
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
          I was talking 'debit card' not credit. Would you use a credit card for a $1.39 coffee?
          I do it all the time. I now rarely have coins in my pocket, my coin jar is being depleted, and it's great.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            No, its not because they are 'regarded... as worthless', it's because I don't want to carry around bulky coins in my pocket. Most American males, in my experience, do not. It's why the dollar coin hasn't taken off. Because we like our bills. We don't like carrying around coins.

But if you carry around dollar coins they aren't bulky. A good amount of money will be less bulky than your car keys. I used to ask for dollars and half dollars and most cashiers were more than happy to give them because there aren't separate compartments for them in most trays. Now I don't bother asking because there just aren't many around any more.

Comment

Save your change and buy whiskey.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I do it all the time. I now rarely have coins in my pocket, my coin jar is being depleted, and it's great.
                I am astounded by the coin jar idea as a necessity. I pay cash for about 99% of my purchases and never have an excess of coin (even though our $1 and $2 are coins now).

Is it laziness or lack of counting skills that causes the coin buildup?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Save your change and buy whiskey.

Are you kidding? Whiskey is too expensive to buy with change.

In Britain they've eliminated every note below £5 and have £1, £2, and £5 coins. That would be like dropping singles and fives and introducing $2, $5 and $10 coins.

That would be cool. I'd love high value coins. You should, too. You could buy a whiskey with one coin.

Comment

I am astounded by the coin jar idea as a necessity. I pay cash for about 99% of my purchases and never have an excess of coin (even though our $1 and $2 are coins now).

Is it laziness or lack of counting skills that causes the coin buildup?
                    Hey, be my guest if you want to waste your days counting coins. I'll pass.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hey, be my guest if you want to waste your days counting coins. I'll pass.
                      By the answer you give I guess it was a combination of both.

It takes about 2 seconds to count proper change, not days.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        but the euro coins have their value in big numbers on the common side

They have too because they're too close in size. The €0.50 is less than double the size of the €0.10. The €2 is only 1 gram (13%) larger than the €1.

My short experience last summer in the US was dramatic. i ended up giving my all change to cashiers and telling them: "there, take as needed"

Only two proportional silvery coin types, one smooth edged nickel coin, and one copper you couldn't keep them straight?

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                          But if you carry around dollar coins they aren't bulky. A good amount of money will be less bulky than your car keys.
                          Yes they are. Right now I have 5 $1 bills in my wallet, having 5 coins jingle around instead would drive me batty. I already have to carry around car keys, saying that my other pocket has to be just as bulky is not exactly a winning argument.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It takes about 2 seconds to count proper change, not days.
                            Yes, it takes 2 seconds per person in line. Way too much time, if it can be avoided.

Comment

Yes, it takes 2 seconds per person in line. Way too much time, if it can be avoided.
                              Still faster than the alternatives. You CANNOT do an electronic transaction as quick.

This reminds me of a co-worker that swears he can keep track of court dates easier and quicker on his Crackberry than I do on a paper day planner.

Comment

You CANNOT do an electronic transaction as quick.
                                You might believe that. But you're wrong. I do it every day and it's quicker than cash.

Besides, now I never have to go to the bank or ATM.

Comment

Working...
                                X