The Grammar and Spelling Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grammar and Spelling Thread

Given Jaguar's obvious consternation over the spelling of judgment, coupled with anything to get away from math, here's a thread of obvious need.

Y'all. It's not "ya'll", it's "y'all".
    A contraction for You all. All of you.
    As in, "Do y'all want to hang DanQ in effigy?"

Yonder.
    An indicated distance, usually within sight.
    As in, "Y'all can hang DanQ in effigy over yonder".

What else is a concern for y'all?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Its 'maths' not 'math'.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

"Definately" is definitely one of my pet peeves.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You realise that this thread is the equivalent of a huge sign around your neck saying "Golf Sale" "Point out the least errors I may have made"?

Judgment on the west of the Atlantic, judgement on the east.

Comment

"Strength" not "Strenght"
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

b!tch not *****
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Damn, no-one has complained about its and it's yet.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Why should I? Both do exist and have their meaningful use.
                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Irregardless of you're concerns, we shold prey that its an issue that will be resolvd in a gloirus fashun.

Comment

This one always surprises me. The sheer amount of native speakers making the its - it's mistake is amazing, given how it's a very simple rule. Certainly simple compared to the many other rules in English, but no - for some weird reason, you see people remembering the harder rules.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      This one always surprises me. The sheer amount of native speakers making the its - it's mistake is amazing, given how it's a very simple rule. Certainly simple compared to the many other rules in English, but no - for some weird reason, you see people remembering the harder rules.
                      Its usually a typo.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I've seen plenty of people who make the mistake consistently. Over many different posts, or sometimes several times in the same post.

What annoys me even more, though, is a variation of that same mistake - ending a word with 's to denote the plural form...
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Are then and than pronounced the same? I see many native speakers confusing them when writing.

I pronounce "then" with an e like in "let", and "than" with an a like in "and", but maybe that is wrong
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                            Are then and than pronounced the same? I see many native speakers confusing them when writing.
                            Yeah, that's annoying too, as is the "their" and "they're" and "there" thing.

Comment

My main (possible) infraction is using 's as a plural when applied to an acronym. I'm not sure it's correct, but it looks better.

Comment

Working...
                              X