Dutch government says it plans to ban burqa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

In addition to that, when do you hear of people wearing burqas causing problems? I'm sure it is very, very rare if it does happen.
    I don't think it a problem that exists with burqas as religious attire, I read it to be a possibility of abuse, by those who probably don't wear the attire for religious reasons, normally.
    Like they frown on a person wearing a Halloween mask or a a nylon stocking over their head when entering a bank.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      I don't think it a problem that exists with burqas as religious attire, I read it to be a possibility of abuse, by those who probably don't wear the attire for religious reasons, normally.
      Like they frown on a person wearing a Halloween mask or a a nylon stocking over their head when entering a bank.
      Excellent point about Halloween masks, Slow. I assume this legislation which bans covering up your face in public places means you can't wear a Halloween costume that covers your face to go trick or treating. Would that be ok by your neck of the woods Slow? No Bill Clinton masks or anything...

And of course if it is cold and snowing, no raising of the turtleneck and pulling down the winter hat so that only your eyes are showing. You have to brave the cold, damn it!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Darius,
        You can actually take a flagrant troll like that serial?
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Imran, I said no questions yet. I'm waiting on reports.

I can see the tickleish nature of the decision.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Just ban muslim males, that would solve tons of problems.
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

In addition to that, when do you hear of people wearing burqas causing problems? I'm sure it is very, very rare if it does happen.
              Here is your answer (notice the BS):

The city of Utrecht has cut some welfare benefits to unemployed women who insist on wearing burqas to job interviews. The city claimed the women were using the burqa to avoid working, since they knew they wouldn't be hired.

So basically when people are so much of racist dickheads that they won't hire women with a burqa, it's the woman's fault.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Well, like I said it is election time and over here, as a politician you score points whenever you talk tough about the Muslem Menace.

It'll all blow over come next Wednesday and we have send the current government home.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

I think that banning the burqa is stupid. Regulating acceptable clothing (beyond obscenity) is not part of the gov't's portfolio.

Some of you are fascists of the highest order.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                    Here is your answer (notice the BS):

The city of Utrecht has cut some welfare benefits to unemployed women who insist on wearing burqas to job interviews. The city claimed the women were using the burqa to avoid working, since they knew they wouldn't be hired.

So basically when people are so much of racist dickheads that they won't hire women with a burqa, it's the woman's fault.
                    Ah, that's great that over Utrecht that people lose out on government benefits because other people are racists to them .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Dutch have a fairly lenient policy WRT public nudity? So this is just the logical conclusion of their policies. Legal to uncover, illegal to cover entirely...mox nix.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ah, that's great that over Utrecht that people lose out on government benefits because other people are racists to them .
                        You are wrong here I'm afraid. Dutch unemployment benefits are still among the best in the world (but for how long I don't know ). Everyone is entitled to them, on one condition: you have to do your utmost best to get employed again.

So if I'm unemployed and go to a job interview, wearing torn jeans, sneakers and a baseball cap I know for sure I would be out of the door within two minutes.

And that's where the sanction comes in. You don't seriously try to get a job? Fine, but don't expect the rest of us to pay for your unemployment.

You don't go improperly dressed to a job interview. Employers want to see who they are dealing with, so a burka is definitely out.

OTOH, it has been shown that your chances of getting an interview is greatly enhanced when you say your name is Jan Smits then when you say your name is Imran Siddiqui
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

What's next, closing mosks and banning moustaches? Maybe close their shops too because they are selling all this strange stuff?

OTOH, I'm all for banning those non-Dutch baseball caps kids seem to love
                          When the baseball cap becomes a symbol for the oppression and enslavement of half of humanity then we can talk.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            BS. Women's rights are not the issue here. Women in the netherlands are completely free and thousands choose not to wear any head covering.
                            Tell that to the women who get acid thrown in their faces for not wearing head coverings/burkas. There are tons of women who's fathers, brothers, and husbands would all take turns beating her if she dared not to wear this symbol of oppression.

The Nazi arm band is banned because it is a symbol of hate. The burka is a symbol of centuries of male oppression of females. Females are often even killed for refusing to wear it in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan.

It should be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              Stop acting like fakeboris, fakeboris.

The women won't get hired because they are refusing to wear proper business attire. If I walk into my work in ripped jeans, no shirt, and a purple mo-hawk I would also be fired for not being properly dressed (or at least be asked to change into appropriate attire).

The people are deliberately refusing to wear reasonable attire. Fine, that is their choice (as long as they don't go out in public dressed like that thus violating laws against masks and face coverings) but the rest of the people shouldn't have to give them endless welfare. Either they want to work or they don't. If they do then they need to be dressed in a way acceptable to standard business practices.

Comment

Tell that to the women who get acid thrown in their faces for not wearing head coverings/burkas. There are tons of women who's fathers, brothers, and husbands would all take turns beating her if she dared not to wear this symbol of oppression.

Is there evidence of this happening in the Netherlands?

Females are often even killed for refusing to wear it in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Are "Pakistan" and "Afghanistan" part of the Dutch state? Or is this yet another example of your bigotry towards Muslims. Maybe you and Trent Lott can get together and swap stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X