No announcement yet.

Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure we will...but my question is, how do you guys think it would work. That's all..

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
        I sure we will...but my question is, how do you guys think it would work. That's all..

Spec.
        Digital watches with earth-time and local time. For the years that it would take to get to another planet they'll be running on earth time anyway.

Comment

Some years ago a study was done on a subject that spent an entire year in a cave like environment. He had no conection to the outside that would indicate to him what time of day it was or indeed what day of the week it was (or the date). He was given a calander to keep track of what day it was based on how long he thought the day was. Turns out that humans, or at least this particular human, has a natural 30 hour cycle. Sleep 10 hours be awake for 20.

So my bet is work days and your standard "sleep cycle" would be dependant on whatever planet you live on (to include rules regarding drinking age and such). You'd probably talkwith most people on your planet in terms of that plantes time frames but you'd also know the conversion rate to Earth Standard.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I think that it has been long that seconds are measured according to specific natural measurable events, and are no longer measured as "1/60 out of 1/60 out of 1/24 of a total earth spin"

So that years and months as we know them, will be kept largely the same even as we populate other planets.

Comment

Spec, did you know that if the Earth spun in reverse, time really would go backward? Superman was right.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Just use Unix time, duh.

Comment

Nevermind, you guys just dont get my point. I bet VJ would understand.

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Seconds would be the standard, probably; kiloseconds, megaseconds, etc. IIRC they actually have relatively useful meanings:

[q="Accelerando"]
                    # 1 kilosecond: 16.7 minutes
                    # 1 megasecond: 11.6 days
                    # 1 gigasecond: 32 years
                    # 1 terasecond: 32,000 years
                    # 1 petasecond: 32,000,000 years
                    [/q]

So a week is on the same scale as a megasecond, an hour is a few kiloseconds, and a human life can be measured in 100s of megaseconds quite easily. I for example am about 9 hectomegaseconds old (nine Hems, probably), or nearly 1 gigasecond.

My suspicion is we'd use Sol years for a while, and just like with Metric vs English system, eventually we'd lose enough connection with Sol itself that there would be a push for Second style time, and we'd eventually adopt it, with some backwards countries still using Sol time
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ok...so...Nothing would work on planet-x according to earth time.

How would harvesting work if seasons last 2 years lets say....what would be the meaning of am and pm then...In parks, its dangerous at nights in new york for example...well if we stay with earth hours, nights could be at 3 oclock in the afternoon...so you would get raped while walking hom from work while yeaterday it was completly sunny at the exact same time according to earth hours.

I dont understand how you guys dont get this...

Spec.

Comment

I reckon that we'd just relate it to a simple standard for universal time as we perceive it and then individual planets would come up with their own norms as applicable.
                        For example December in England is December in Australia but you are more likely to wear a bikini on Bondi beach at the time of year.

Comment

I say we go by stardates like on star trek, or some atomic standard

or we go by what ever time Jack Bauer says it is
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                            Ok...so...Nothing would work on planet-x according to earth time.

How would harvesting work if seasons last 2 years lets say....what would be the meaning of am and pm then...In parks, its dangerous at nights in new york for example...well if we stay with earth hours, nights could be at 3 oclock in the afternoon...so you would get raped while walking hom from work while yeaterday it was completly sunny at the exact same time according to earth hours.

I dont understand how you guys dont get this...

Spec.
                            You know, when I was in China, I was bloody pissed that the sun was up at midnight. How do those people sleep at night? And when I wanted lunch. Everything was dark and not a single restaurant open.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

What DaShi said.

Comment

Yea...but it stays the same everyday or so. On planet-x, its always different.

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X