X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Democrats defy Pelosi, elect Hoyer House leader

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Nothing like solidarity.
    That is a stupid or at least completely uneducated statement.

I mean it. Completely clueless.

Unlike the Republicans the Democrats don't simply have their leadership annoint someone and then just run through the motions of voting. There is an actual debate with give and take and at the end of it all everyone, including the leadership, gets one vote each. The leadership can only suggest and attempt to persade people but they can't strong arm the rank and file the way the Republicans do.

That's a democracy and there is nothing to be ashamed about in doing that. You end up with more qualified people in positions of authority then with the dictatorial "I SAID YOU WILL ELECT MY MAN" approach the Republican leadership takes. That's just another reason why the Democratic Party is superior to the Republican Party.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You can mean it all you want.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Good, Hoyer is a bit of a slick bastard but at least he isn't a corrupt pork king like Murtha.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

True. I do wish the guy actually wanted to reform the campaign finance laws rather then just take the Republican dirty money machine and make a Democratic copy of it.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I can draw no other conclusion from this thread than that Sloww hates democracy.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Why Slow? All Pelosi did was recommend her friend for the spot. She didn't campaign for him, she didn't go office to office extolling his virtues. She did nothing except say she likes Murtha. Hardly an embarassment for Pelosi.
              Hardly. She went from recommending to making calls in support of Murtha and having people twist arms over the course of the weekend. It's unrealistic to think that the speaker didn't make some sort of effort to influence this race. Besides, she doesn't like Hoyer to begin with.

The WaPo also had a story about the hardball tactics that were being used.

Unlike the Republicans the Democrats don't simply have their leadership annoint someone and then just run through the motions of voting. There is an actual debate with give and take and at the end of it all everyone, including the leadership, gets one vote each.
              Funny, Alexander went into the Senate Whip race expecting to have a few more votes than Lott and somehow, magically, managed to come out ahead. He was so confident that he dropped letters in the mail thanking 27 Republican Senators for their votes.

And on the House side, why did Pelosi have to horse trade heavily to make sure Clyburn got the Whip Position? Given a fair vote, Rahm would've wrapped it up. It's Democracy for everony until a major constituency needs to be satisfied. Say what you want, but the game is played how the game is played. Hello new boss, same as the old one. This isn't Solon's Athens.

And Pelosi should thank god that Murtha didn't win, because that would've kneecapped her entire reform agenda. Who wants a guy who narrowly got pinched in ABSCAM and who is one of the dirtiest politicos in Washington crippling the Dem majority the way that the DeLay mess did?
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                I can draw no other conclusion from this thread than that Sloww hates democracy.
                That's why you're an idiot.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I really couldn't bring myself to care who won. Murtha, porkmeister 2000, or Hoyer "we need to close the K street gap." That being said, it seems that both are behind Pelosi's agenda, so at least for the short term, it shouldn't matter.
                  "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

That's why you're an idiot.
                    Of course not. My opinion is not why I'm an idiot, it's only symptomatic of my idiocy. Even an idiot would know that.

As others have said, debate and difference are at the heart of a functioning democracy. It is precisely the relative lack of debate and difference within the Republican leadership and congress that is so worrisome. Anyone who mocks debate as obviously stupid and disorganized while implicitly supporting blind, uncompromising order and follow-the-leader "politics" hates democracy.
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Carry on. Far be it for me to dissuade people from talking about Murtha and Pelosi! Or even how Hoyer is marginally less corrupt than Murtha.
                      You're not implying that we have corrupt Democrat officials, are you?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

"I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat." - Will Rogers, 1935
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You're not just arguing with me. You're arguing with the party as they were quoted.

"We'll recover."
                          "Things will get better."
                          "Yeah, we look like dumbasses."
                          A lot better than what the other party is saying for the next two years.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                          X