X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milton Friedman dies at age 94

Master of Economics
    Key events in the life and career of Milton Friedman
    MILTON FRIEDMAN was one of the towering figures of economics in the 20th century. A leading advocate of free markets, he championed monetarism, the notion that the inflation can be regulated by the Federal Reserve's control of the money supply. He wrote extensively on the Great Depression and was an advocate of libertarian ideas such as the decriminalization of drugs.
    Print this.

1912 — Born in New York.

1932-1933 — Receives bachelors degree from Rutgers University, masters degree from the University of Chicago.

1937 — Becomes a member of the research staff of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a post he would maintain until 1981.

1945 — With coauthor Simon Kuznets, publishes "Income From Independent Professional Practice," his doctoral thesis.

1946 — Receives doctorate from Columbia University and is hired to teach at the University of Chicago, where he serves as a professor of economics until 1976. Friedman would come to be seen as the leader of the Chicago School of monetary economics, which stresses the importance of the money supply as an instrument of policy and a determinant of the business cycle.

1951 — Wins the John Bates Clark Medal, which honors top economists under the age of 40.

1956 — "Studies in the Quantity Theory of Money" is published. In it, Friedman argues that increased monetary growth over the long run raises prices but has no effect on output. In the short term, increased money supply boost hiring and output.

1957 — "A Theory of Consumption Function" is published. Considered a landmark study, it tackles the notion, associated with John Maynard Keynes, that consumers adjust their spending to reflect current income, arguing instead that people's annual consumption is a function of what they expect to earn over the course of their lifetime.

1962 — "Capitalism and Freedom" is published. Friedman's key text on free markets, it argues in favor of floating currency exchange rates, an all-volunteer military, a negative income tax and education vouchers.

1963 — "A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960", co-authored with Anna J. Schwartz, is published. In a work that would become hugely influential in the field of monetary economics, Friedman and Schwartz used historical narrative and reams of supporting data to argue that steady control of the money supply is crucial in steering the economy. The book famously critiqued the Federal Reserve's performance during the Great Depression and the central bank launched a lengthy internal review of its policy-making after receiving a prepublication draft of the book. The Fed commissioned Elmus R. Wicker to write a rejoinder in hopes of deflecting some of Friedman's arguments.

1964 — Serves informally as an economic adviser to Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater. Later, Friedman served as an economic adviser to Richard Nixon's 1968 presidential campaign, and to Ronald Reagan's 1980 campaign.

1967 — Serves as president of the American Economic Association.

1975 — Friedman makes a controversial trip to Chile, along with several other University of Chicago professors, where he meets with dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet.

1976 —Is awarded the Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel in economics for his work in the fields of "consumption analysis, monetary theory and history and for his demonstration of the complexitity of stabilization policy."

1977 — Becomes a senior research fellow at the libertarian Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

1980 — PBS airs the 10-part "Free to Choose," which is made into a bestselling book co-authored with his wife, Rose Friedman. The series and book were a robust defense of the couple's free-market economic beliefs.

1981 — Serves as a member of Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board.

1988 — Receives Presidential Medal of Freedom and National Medal of Science.

2002 — President Bush speaks at a ceremony honoring Friedman, celebrating his 90th birthday and recognizing his contributions to the study of economics.

Nov. 16, 2006 — Friedman dies of heart failure at a hospital near his home in San Francisco. He was 94.

Source: WSJ.com research
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

RIP

One of my alma mater's greatest products ... agree or disagree with his economics, he had more of an effect on world economies and industrialization than nearly any other.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yes, he did...one hell of an effect...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Galbraith died this year too, maybe Friedmann have choose to give up life and join Galbraith to continue their eternal debate!

Anyway, we've lost this year two of our great economic figures, who have inspired many economists and politicians.
        bleh

Comment

I do not remember where I read it; but he said in an interview that one thing he regret was one economics policy by Mrs. Thatcher(inspired by him), about the lowering of the min wages in U.K. at the beginning of the 80' decades.
          bleh

Comment

Friedman

RIP
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

One things that I hate about his dead, will be the moronic hippy of my university, who will celebrate his death, since they have read in their no-brain leftist newspaper that Friedmann= teh devil.
              bleh

Comment

A good, old interview of Friedman...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

RIP

Receives bachelors degree from Rutgers University

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                    One things that I hate about his dead, will be the moronic hippy of my university, who will celebrate his death, since they have read in their no-brain leftist newspaper that Friedmann= teh devil.
                    Mobius goes to your university?
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                      Which university is that?

And do you have a leftist and a super-leftist newspaper to present both sides of the issues?
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

RIP
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

A great thinker, but an ideologue who was unwilling to take in new information that challenge his theories, unlike Keynes.

I saw him in Hong Kong in 1997. Someone asked him: if free markets create the best results, then how do you explain the success of Singapore where there is massive government intervention?

All he could respond was: If Singapore was a true free market like Hong Kong, it would have done better. A ridiculous statement given that Hong Kong and Singapore were equally successful, and given that Hong Kong has government intervention.
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

@Victor Galis
                            Laval University

Slighty Leftist: Le Devoir

Leftist(with my friend Ramonet): Le Monde Diplomatique

Super Leftist: All the newspaper coming from the department of politics who is controlled by the "leftist activist". I'm pretty sure you have such newspaper in your school. Do I have example... nope only on paper.

Edit:
                            Typical news of these newspaper(the super leftist):
                            Where we got to have pity of palestinians, u.s.a is to blame, the liberals party = Hitler, there is a conspiration in the media with Paul Desmarais, we should give free appt to poor, we should subsidize more poor house, oil company are bad, we should raise the minimum wage to 10$/hours(and that's not a joke), and blah blah blah Typical no-brain leftist activism.

Edit 2: These leftist activism are pain in the ass in many debates. you can't debate with them, they are thinking irrationally. They have no ****ing sense of reality... Maybe because our roots are roman catholic, they mostly have taken the roman catholics ideals of charity, and think that the government must act these ways... and they do not realize that is not the government who must do charity, but the people, the community. Since the government, is no one. Anyway, that's my rant against leftist-activist. And I know my rant is against a gross image of leftist activism, but badly, too much of them are acting like a caricature.
                            Last edited by CrONoS; November 16, 2006, 13:32.
                            bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                              A great thinker, but an ideologue who was unwilling to take in new information that challenge his theories, unlike Keynes.

I saw him in Hong Kong in 1997. Someone asked him: if free markets create the best results, then how do you explain the success of Singapore where there is massive government intervention?

All he could respond was: If Singapore was a true free market like Hong Kong, it would have done better. A ridiculous statement given that Hong Kong and Singapore were equally successful, and given that Hong Kong has government intervention.
                              To be fair to Friedman, Hong Kong is about 20% better off than Singapore. The US is about 50% better off than Singapore.

Comment

Working...
                              X