Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ned
    Where did I express outrage?
    One may argue that comparing the practice to Naziism is akin to expressing outrage, but who knows, you may actually like the Nazis?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Saying someone likes the NAZI's implies that they like everything about them. That is the problem with the slur, of course.

But one thing is clear, conservatives like Limbaugh do not like the neo-NAZIsm of the Church of England.

I express concern that universal health care will inevitably lead to the same "cost saving" culture where cost to society is a factor in life and death decisions.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

I express concern that universal health care will inevitably lead to the same "cost saving" culture where cost to society is a factor in life and death decisions.
        That is the inevitable problem of allocating limited ressources to unlimited needs. Do you have a solution?
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

What happens to babies born in the 22nd week of pregnancy in America? Do the insurance companies pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            What happens to babies born in the 22nd week of pregnancy in America? Do the insurance companies pay?
            Thats different, ability to pay trumps everything
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Germany's declaration of war on the US was almost a formality given the hostile maneuvering Roosevelt had conducted against Germany in the preceding year. Roosevelt's problem was that he had to provoke Germany in to a declaration of war as he could not get Congress to do so.

So, we get back to the question: what justification did Roosevelt have in allying the US so firmly with Britain and the USSR in 1941? The best answer, I suppose, is Germany's alliance with Japan in Sept. 1940. But, that was a defensive alliance. Still over the year succeeding that date, Roosevelt did everything in his power to provoke Japan as well.

So, in truth, we poked our noses into other peoples conflicts. We did not wage war against Germany to protect democracy, to rescue Poland, to protect the Jews, to anything that had any justification in Germany's hostile action against the US save for one item: that treaty with Japan.
              But these causes are all irrelevant since you were attacked (Japan) and DOWed (Germany, Italy). That's the best reason you can ever get for participating in a war (technically you're participating automatically, though not neccessarily actively, when DOWed).

And a DOW, esp. between such important actors, is hardly a pure formality. That Germany couldn't invade the US mainland in Dec 41 is no argument, since a) they could still do a lot of damage to US interests in other ways and b) if the US did nothing it would have given Ger exactly the chance to improve it's capabilities in this aspect. In any way being DOWed an then doing nothing makes no sense at all.
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

That is the inevitable problem of allocating limited ressources to unlimited needs. Do you have a solution?
                Not really.

What Germany experienced in the '30's seems the inevitable consequence of universal health care.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

BeBro, as I said, FDR all but forced Japan and Germany to war with declaring it himself. But, as you said, we were attacked and DOWed. That gave us "cause" enough to fight. But it does not mean that we were fighting for any other cause.

Comment

Nobody takes the trouble to actually declare war anymore. I guess when you can just attack regardless of Congress's stamp of approval, the formal declaration becomes pointless. That's right; the DOW has lost all points recently.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok, I think we do things a little differently today. We get both Congressional and UN approval, then issue an ultimatum. That, BTW, is somewhat how WWI started, of course, without the UN part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                        What do you consider the correct thing to do in cases of premature birth at 22 weeks, Doc? Ned is outraged that some bioethicists have suggested witholding treatment.
                        At 22 weeks it's not going to live no matter what you do for it. These folks are more concerned about the ones that do live but have no chance to develop a certain degree of neurological development. What we don't know is where they propose to draw the line. For all we know they may have not bothered to even suggest a line. If that's the case all this paper does is invite the creation of another study group and the writing of another paper. The paper may have been written largely to test public opinion. The quotes from the paper we've been given seem so contradictory that I'm suspecting that such is the case.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                          I'm not joking about the holocaust
                          Why on earth not? It's a great source of family fun and humour
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Niessuh
                            How can a person think everything their country has is perfect and everything the rest of the world do is wrong, corrupted, and evil? now I understand imperialism better
                            How? By being American
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                              BeBro, as I said, FDR all but forced Japan and Germany to war with declaring it himself. But, as you said, we were attacked and DOWed. That gave us "cause" enough to fight. But it does not mean that we were fighting for any other cause.
                              Hey, all the Japanese had to do was quit their conquest of China and FDR would have lifted the embargo on the export of strategic materials to Japan. How then was Japan forced into attacking America.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

You make it sound as though "quitting" the war in China would have been an easy thing for the Japanese to do. Surely an American should be freshly aquainted with just how difficult quitting a war can be...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X