Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds better to me than what I had been hearing

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Habeus Corpus
      Public Campaign Financeing
      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• I'm sorry that public campaign financing got shot down in the last California election. I guess most people don't care or don't know how corrupted by big money politics has become.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• It appears that Hoyer beat Murtha...

Nancy Pelosi has managed to severely scar her leadership even before taking up the gavel as the new speaker of the House. First, she played politics with the leadership of the House Intelligence Committee to settle an old score and a new debt. And then she put herself in a lose-lose position by trying to force a badly tarnished ally, Representative John Murtha, on the incoming Democratic Congress as majority leader. The party caucus put a decisive end to that gambit yesterday, giving the No. 2 job to Steny Hoyer, a longtime Pelosi rival.

I think this is a victory for moderates...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
            This seems to imply that (1) the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions have no control over whether or not they are co-opted, and (2) if the big bad Dems would just leave them alone, the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions could effect real change.

Color me dubious.
            1) The average person doesn't know what goes on at the higher levels of the movement. The liberal leadership is always too willing to sell itself for a few crumbs and platitudes. The movement gets sold out and whithers. We haven't really seen much from the anti-war movement since the churches and liberals split from the communists who did the initial organizing and led it to support Kerry's bid for the Presidency, even if he wasn't an antiwar candidate.

2) The Dems haven't contributed to any significant meaningful change since the early 70s. They are thoroughly corrupt and in the back pockets of big business. But people remember when the Dems were a liberal party and so they keep hope alive, because their leaders are too willing to sell them out for a place at the kiddie table.

The progressive caucus in the Dems is half the size of the conservative caucuses: the DNC and the Blue Dog Caucus. Pelosi isn't considered a liberal in San Francisco, and Murtha was an unindicted co-conspirator in Abscam. In the Senate, nothing real can get done without the tacit approval of the GOP, and since they have been voting solidly as a block for years now, the Dems will be able to pass nothing unless 90%+ of the GOP Senators approve, which effectively means you have a coalition of the conservative Dems with the GOP, so what has changed?

The only thing I see is less people protesting because now they think their side is in control.
            Last edited by chequita guevara; November 17, 2006, 23:48.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              I think this is a victory for moderates...
              Hoyer and Murtha are both conservatives Democrats. Murtha just has a less conservative position on the war.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                Habeus Corpus
                Public Campaign Financeing
                Not gonna happen. You don't have veto proof majorities in either chamber of the Congress.

Comment

• Hoyer and Murtha are both conservatives Democrats. Murtha just has a less conservative position on the war.

Pelosi being weakened and having less ability to control the more moderate members of her caucus is the victory I'm talking about.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Pelosi's a moderate by any civilized standard.

Comment

• Commies aren't civilized, sir. They were the greatest butchers of the last century.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Uh, no. Capitalism killed multiple times what the Communists killed.

Comment

• Capitalism saved the world from Fascism and Communism. I know you're upset that your side lost, but capitalists are still the heroes of the story...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• No, you're just another set of bad guys. You just have prettier cages.

Comment

• Actualy Drake its was Democracy paired with massive Kenzian state controled Capitalism and FDR's massive expantion in Welfare that ended the GreatDepression and won WW2.
                              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• I trust your opinion more if you could actually spell "Keynesian"...

Not to mention "actually", "controlled" and "expansion".
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X