Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

This is a continuation of this earlier thread: http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=158333

So now that the Dems have won control of both houses what will happen next? Will Pelosi and Reid maintain their leadership positions or will they get replaced by new blood? I'm mainly thinking of Reid with that last question since he's so stiff and wooden he makes Gore in 2000 look like an action hero. Lastly, will Lieberman defect to the Republicans and evenly splite the Senate or will he get a chairmanship of his choice as a bribe to stay?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: Lieberman... as a CT voter, I'd be rather shocked if he decided to caucus with the Republicans. He's certainly not going to become one.

"I'm sticking with Joe" was his campaign slogan. He went out of his way to say he would stick with the Dems if he got re-elected.

I know that politicians often discard campaign promises, but this is different in that it represents no change at all. Joe can go back to being what he's been for a very long time now: the Democratic senator from CT. It'll say "I" next to his name, but that will be a technicality. And the Dems will make sure that he feels wanted.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

if they don't take care of their base, they'll get shown the door.Reid will likely retain his position. the house fights will be interesting. Lieberman will vote with the democrats on everything except Iraq, and since the Senate doesn't really have funding power he won't be doing anything. Of course he might do what the republican senator did when he switched to independent and be a drama queen.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Re: Lieberman... as a CT voter, I'd be rather shocked if he decided to caucus with the Republicans. He's certainly not going to become one.

"I'm sticking with Joe" was his campaign slogan. He went out of his way to say he would stick with the Dems if he got re-elected.

I know that politicians often discard campaign promises, but this is different in that it represents no change at all. Joe can go back to being what he's been for a very long time now: the Democratic senator from CT. It'll say "I" next to his name, but that will be a technicality. And the Dems will make sure that he feels wanted.

-Arrian
        ID actually. Independent Democrat, with both capitalized, is what he's said.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
          if they don't take care of their base, they'll get shown the door.

Here in VA, where there was a very close race, theyre more likely to get shown the door if they go to far, than if they "dont take care of their base'

Webb has a very strong mandate, to not say "macaca".
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What will they do, nothing too much. They don't want to kill their presidential candidate. It's all about making few small moves that enjoy popularity and then stand down. That's it.

After presidential election, something might happen. It's another thing if those things will result to good outcomes or not, however, they will wait until then.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hopefully they'll inject some sanity into the perscription drug debacle.

And not get rid of the non-resident tax exemption. That is of paramount importance.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I'm not sure what the non-resident tax exemption does specifically, however, Pelosi has said one of he first moves will be to let Medicare collectively bargin for prices with the drug companies. It is insane that Medicare legally must pay what ever price the drug companies decide to charge for their drugs and cannot bargin to lower those prices in any way. That was just one of the most insane give aways to the drug industry which the Republican controlled Congress ever did. It inflated drug prices by 200%-400% for medicare compared to what companies like Wal-Mart get charged.

If the big corporations can use their market muscle to leverage price discounts then Medicare should be able to as well. That's a win for the taxpayers, for consumers, and for good governance.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm not sure what the non-resident tax exemption does specifically
                  People who don't live in the US don't have to pay any taxes on the first $70Kish of their income. There was some talk a while ago about scrapping it which would be bad. Very very very bad.

It inflated drug prices by 200%-400% for medicare compared to what companies like Wal-Mart get charged.
                  And IIRC, the Veteran's Administration already does such price bargaining.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Of critical importance is passing lobbying reform. We need to pass it now, before the Democratic majority wakes up and finds itself in bed with the lobbyists.
                    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

The Dems

will most likely get into long drawn out fights with the Administration in a fit of revenge for the way the Republicans treated the Dems over the last 6 years or so.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

People who don't live in the US don't have to pay any taxes on the first $70Kish of their income. There was some talk a while ago about scrapping it which would be bad. Very very very bad.

The problem with non-residents is that if they tax them too much, they disappear off the tax rolls entirely

Canada has the same issue and charges people working abroad small taxes since if it is high, it just forces people to take the additional steps to become non-resident and pay no Canadian taxes at all (Canada taxes based on residency)
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I kinda agree with Pekka (can't believe I said that)-- I could see the Dems fighting the more popular fights and trying to avoid the issues that could divide the electorate. They are probably hoping that a minimalist approach could lead to further gains in Congress and maybe even a Dem president
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Murtha has announced his intention to run for Speaker of the House and Pelosi has thrown her support behind him, so there's "new blood" I guess.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                              Murtha has announced his intention to run for Speaker of the House and Pelosi has thrown her support behind him, so there's "new blood" I guess.
                              Er... no. Murtha is running for House Majority Leader, which is not the same thing as Speaker of the House. Pelosi is backing Murtha for House Majority Leader over Hoyer, who is currently the Deputy House Minority Leader.

Pelosi will be Speaker.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X