Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the circlejerk begin!

The best part about this is that you could've gotten me on the "Try 4-6 months, champ..." retort if you didn't have such a raging hard-on for me. It was an admittedly weak effort and didn't completely make sense in response to Oerdin's comment. Frankly, I didn't really spend too much time reading Oerdin's post; once I figured out that he was contesting my comment about Dem plans for a "quick withdrawal", I just skipped the rest and threw up the LA Times article that was my source. Had I paid closer attention, I could have commented earlier on the inanity of Oerdin's claims of Dem support for a non-existant Baker ISG plan and spared myself the ignominy of such a lame riposte, but I can't really spare the effort to read most of Oerdin's posts these days.

Now, if you had pointed out that my "Try 4-6 months, champ..." comment was kinda lame and didn't properly address Oerdin's comment, you would've been good. Throw in a bit of smug superiority and you might have been golden. But instead you decided to accuse me of lies! and have a fit in gigantic letters. In the process, you've made yourself look like more of a douche than I could have ever managed through my own words. Thanks, VJ. You took a misstep on my part and turned into a golden opportunity to mock my very favorite stalker. You are a true friend.

Kisses,

Drake
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      The 1-3 year, "discussed plan" doesn't exist. Oerdin claimed that the Baker-led Iraqi Study Group has released a plan and that the Democrats were going to endorse it, but that simply isn't true.
      Once again you are wrong or deliberately lying. I didn't say the plan had been released yet. What I did say is just about every expert expects it to say just about exactly what Democrats like John Kerry have been saying since 2004; namely a phased withdrawal and redeployment.

This isn't a complicated subject, Drake. Why do you intentionally keep misquoting everything?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I attack BS when I see it.

Indeed. It's too bad you're just not any good at it...
        He seems to have his facts much straighter then you do. Just admit that you've been wrong on most of your main points in this thread.

Comment

What I did say is just about every expert expects it to say

What experts are you talking about? Do you have a source?

I didn't say the plan had been released yet.

I dunno. The following quote sure makes it sound like you thought the ISG recommendations were out...

If by "quick withdrawal from Iraq" you mean endorsing the Baker commission's proposal of a 1-3 year phased withdrawal then you're right.

Just admit that you've been wrong on most of your main points in this thread.

None of my main points are wrong. I've got sources for all of them.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Re: What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

very little of use, I suspect, but they will continue to co-opt the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions, and prevent any real change from happening.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If by "quick withdrawal from Iraq" you mean endorsing the Baker commission's proposal of a 1-3 year phased withdrawal then you're right. Of course, everyone already knew that was what either party would be forced to do before the election even took place.
              I haven't read up or heard much detail on whats been proposed but this senario looks sound on a few key points.

- Both sides see the political nessesity of "a change in direction" and their will not be a lot of overt arm-twisting, the new SoD will role out some proposals suposedly based on his military expertese but in actuality crafted by Executive/Legislative compromise. The Dems will then "bless" the plan.

- Iraq will ofcorse degenerate into an even deeper mess over the next two years. Both parties will try to blame the other for this durring the next election cycle. The Republicans claiming that Iraq could have been won if we had stayed (This wont be a cynical ploy they will actualy double-think this, remember many of them actualy hold this position on Vietnam). Dems will say Iraq was FUBAR long before they and the voters forced a withdraw and their actions just saved lives and money from being tossed down a bottomless hole.

- On the domestic front the Imigration reform bill will be the one issue ware the Democrates and the President agree so its finaly going to happen. Minimum wage hike is also a definate go, I dont hold out much hope for balancing the budget, Democrates wont suffer if they fail to fix something which the other side always claimed was its strength. If their smart they would activly try to "sieze" the mantle of being the "Fiscaly Responsable Party" to pull it off their need to eliminate the deficit by 2008 and wraping themselves in the words to drill it into the voters minds.

- The Bush Tax cuts will probably be removed by non-extention of the meashure in 2010 if the Dems consolidate the Congress and take the Presidency in 2008. This makes it harder for Republicans to throw the "raising taxes" slur at them, though they will do so. This allows them to put off this thorny issue untill they have locked down most of their gains, in the meantime all they need to do is block any move to make them perminent which they can easily continue to do.
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I haven't read up or heard much detail on whats been proposed

There's a reason for that...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Berlin (AFP) – The German FA’s (DFB) inquiry into the 2006 World Cup scandal is set to cost around 3.5 million euros ($3.83m), interim

in her remarks, Clinton outlined a range of challenges she said Democrats would tackle in the coming months, such as trimming the federal deficit, reducing dependence on foreign oil, and improving the image of the United States abroad.

She also said Democrats would focus on improving the quality and affordability of health care _ a touchy matter for the former first lady, who in 1993 led her husband's calamitous attempt to overhaul the nation's health care system. The failure of that effort helped Republicans win control of both the Senate and House the following year.

"Health care is coming back," Clinton warned, adding, "It may be a bad dream for some."

Comment

Re: Re: What will the Dems do now that they control Congress?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    very little of use, I suspect, but they will continue to co-opt the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions, and prevent any real change from happening.
                    This seems to imply that (1) the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions have no control over whether or not they are co-opted, and (2) if the big bad Dems would just leave them alone, the antiwar movement, the environmentalists, and the labor unions could effect real change.

Color me dubious.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Besides Iraq, Murtha's well to the right of Hoyer.
                      See... Now you are bothering Drake with facts which don't fit his notion of how the world works. You know how he hates that.

Comment

Now you are bothering Drake with facts which don't fit his notion of how the world works. You know how he hates that.

I don't think I ever commented on Murtha's ideological leanings. Don't tell me you've got a hard-on for me now too...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

For the record I think Murtha is more enamored with coporate shilling than Hoyer.

Its how he makes sure his little brother makes money afterall.

Within a very short order the Democrats have managed to clean house and set up a new order bent on cleaning out the culture of corruption.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Now you are bothering Drake with facts which don't fit his notion of how the world works. You know how he hates that.

I don't think I ever commented on Murtha's ideological leanings. Don't tell me you've got a hard-on for me now too...
                            Are you honestly claiming that saying "Cause the Dems need to balance Pelosi, not put her pal in place" wasn't implying that Hoyer would be further right and thus "balance" Pelosi better then Murtha? Come on man! Keep so tenous connection here.

Comment

I was responding to lotm...
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Pwned...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X