Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the point of halloween again?

I don't get it.

You have kids out trick or treating. yet their own parents back home have to buy candy to give to other kids. So there is no net gain in candy profits. Unless you have kids really ready to hit the pavement and collect more candy than their own parents give out.

So of there is no net candy or monetary gain, what's the point? And don't tell me fun.

It's yet another consumer holiday. Anything to increase sales of useless products we don't need.

And these damn teenagers trick or treating . And the girls dress so slutty. I feel bad just looking at them in a sexual way. There was this one girl (though she was probably over 18) dressed like a maid with the low cut front. That almost made halloween worth it. And then some teenagers looked to be over 18 trick or treating.

I think next year I'm going trick or treating by myself and see if people give me candy. There were adults trick or treating, but they were with their kids, so I gave them candy.

but would people give a 34 year old man candy who is trick or treating by himself?

Comment

Just make it easy and trick yourself.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's a holiday that's been blown out of proportion by the corporations to boost the sales of eggs.
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Come on Dis - lighten up. First of all Hallowe'en is the oldest celebrated holiday in the United States and probably most of the world. Its older than Christmas, both historically and when it has been celebrated recently.

To respond to your statement/question "whats the point"? The point is, people enjoy it What you say about Hallowe'en: that candy is given out and recieved without any party receiving a monetary gain could be said about Christmas. Holidays are not profits centers. I wish we had more of them.

Comment

what really gets my dandy is that halloween is starting to take off here.

Can't you keep holidays to yourself?

Comment

Can we have some of your holidays? Especially the ones where you take the day+ off from work.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I had a couple of kids this year who had the best costumes ever!

They were 4 and 5 years old, or so, and they were dressed as a fridge and a stove. The fridge opened the door for the candy, and the stove opened the oven. They were great!

Mom said she had to scramble at the last minute to accomodate snow-suits. It is about -5c. Yay, Mom!

Very few kids this year. Just the appliances and one other group of 3 kids.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I thought that Trick or Treat thing was a real tradition in the US, or is it also a more recent thing? At any rate, I've been only waiting until teenagers over here start doing the same (where it doesn't belong!) I mean, people here don't store candies for halloween because it's no frigging tradition here. So, trick or treat is basically vandalism here.

And sure, this year it has come. Exactly when I was getting the gargbage outside, there were three kids (~13-14) in front of my door saying "Trick or treat". I was surprised but also a bit mad, so I just stated my verdict: "This may be fun in the US, but it isn't here. I have no sense for yet another commercialized holiday!" The poor kids actually pittied me. They seemed rather well-risen and went away with their heads down, not even remotely thinking of a revenge. I should have shouted at their parents for allowing them to do this, but they weren't in reach, so the kids got it.

Which holiday will the economy discover next? Some muslim holiday? (I sure hope they won't sell Muhammad puppets...)
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    Can we have some of your holidays? Especially the ones where you take the day+ off from work.
                    I can support that.

Halloween is also Nevada day. But I don't get holidays off at my work anyways. I'll be working Thanksgiving.

Comment

Re: What's the point of halloween again?

Originally posted by Dis
                      It's yet another consumer holiday. Anything to increase sales of useless products we don't need.
                      Bingo. When they say "trick or treat", say "trick" and close the door.

Come on Dis - lighten up. First of all Hallowe'en is the oldest celebrated holiday in the United States and probably most of the world. Its older than Christmas, both historically and when it has been celebrated recently.
                      wtf

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? We could start with Halloween not "celebrated" in pretty much anywhere in mainland Europe to any extent until 5-7 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        I had a couple of kids this year who had the best costumes ever!

They were 4 and 5 years old, or so, and they were dressed as a fridge and a stove. The fridge opened the door for the candy, and the stove opened the oven. They were great!

Mom said she had to scramble at the last minute to accomodate snow-suits. It is about -5c. Yay, Mom!

Very few kids this year. Just the appliances and one other group of 3 kids.
                        can't imagine trick or treating in the cold. It was in the low 60's tonight during trick or treat time.

As for costumes, I'm so busy filling up bags, I hardly notice. Except in the case of the teenage girls revealing things they probably shouldn't. Funny how I notice those details, but I can't remember a single costume. One little girl looked like a fairy or angel. I have no idea what the difference between a fairy or an angel is, nor do I care.

Comment

The point is of course being a bastard by not giving any candy out, and feeling great about it

Blah

Comment

Hallowhat?

Despite the best efforts by shopowners and their ilk, Halloween doesn't amount to much here. I like it that way.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It's not big in Europe because of all the anti-americanism
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X