Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a dictatorship that hasn't ****ed up the arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and people here should really look up Neo Rauch. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he's a german painter and all his work is about analysing the soviet's emphasis on craftsmanship and combining soviet aesthetics with western conceptualism.

Apparently he's hot **** in the art world right now.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

We should all try to remember that "art" includes more than merely visual art
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I was thinking of Peron for Argentina, even as I typed Pinochet. He fits the criteria of dictator, and I'm under the impression, possibly false, that some decent artists (authors, musicians) flourished in that era in Argentina.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
          We should all try to remember that "art" includes more than merely visual art
          yeah but literature thrives more on persecution.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

When I think of Soviet arts, I think of Soviet music primarily.
            And, contrary to popular belief in the West, not all Soviet art was creepy cult-of-personality oppression

Comment

I cant think of anything meaningful coming out of Thatcher's Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                I cant think of anything meaningful coming out of Thatcher's Britain.
                That regime does not fit our criteria. Also didn't the Who record in that era? Chris Rea also did some good recording during that time. Probably others.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I shouldn't have posted this query here - apparently there are a bunch of you that think the equivalent of Albert Speer being a greater architect than Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, which is a ****ing scary thought.

Re: Art in Mao's china: Like many dictatorships there were definate rules on what was acceptable. With the single state institutions for each art form dictating "taste", most progress or new ideas were stopped. One example is in music where everything published (through the state publishers) had to have a "traditional" or "folk" element, leading to almost entirely puerile crap being pumped out.
                  Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                  Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

leading to almost entirely puerile crap being pumped out.

Westerners are not in a position to criticise, thanks

Comment

All good art comments on life.

Sometimes the comment is, "the state has us by the balls"
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                      X