Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a dictatorship that hasn't ****ed up the arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been a dictatorship that hasn't ****ed up the arts?

Hitler did it. Stalin did it. Khomeini did it. Park Chung He did it. Pinochet did it.

You name the dictator and I can name you a country where the arts have stagnated, regressed, turned to puerile, simple-minded propaganda and where all new forms of expression have been driven underground.

What I'm wondering is, has there ever been a dictatorship that has not effectively killed off real progress in the arts? Even patently apolitical progress? The one example I can think of is the Soviet Union up until the formation of the Union of Soviet Writers in 1932, but even there it was hardly recieved warmly and apparently Lenin hated Malevich et al, and the avant garde were slowly but surely pushed out of public life.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Re: Has there ever been a dictatorship that hasn't ****ed up the arts?

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
    Hitler did it. Stalin did it. Khomeini did it. Park Chung He did it. Pinochet did it.

You name the dictator and I can name you a country where the arts have stagnated, regressed, turned to puerile, simple-minded propaganda and where all new forms of expression have been driven underground.

What I'm wondering is, has there ever been a dictatorship that has not effectively killed off real progress in the arts? Even patently apolitical progress? The one example I can think of is the Soviet Union up until the formation of the Union of Soviet Writers in 1932, but even there it was hardly recieved warmly and apparently Lenin hated Malevich et al, and the avant garde were slowly but surely pushed out of public life.
    define dictatorship.

Otherwise, Id give you Napoleon, David springs to mind (INCLUDING the propagandistic stuff) and I guess a whole lot more that I cant think of off the top of my head.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Italy under Muscilini? He was interested in bringing back the culture of Rome, while this may have been limiting, they did have some interesting ideas.

Comment

Louis XIV did promote the arts quite considerably. Also, France produced quite a few artists during the entire 19th century, despite the country being democratic for only two short years prior to 1871.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          Louis XIV did promote the arts quite considerably. Also, France produced quite a few artists during the entire 19th century, despite the country being democratic for only two short years prior to 1871.
          I have to assume Buck is excluding traditional monarchies here, or it becomes too easy.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yeah, I mean the traditional monarchies were fairly okay - maybe it's the precence of a secret police that tends to stigmatise and scare off good artists?

Mussolini did approve some fairly cool architecture, I'll give you that. The Casa Del Fascio was and is excellent.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

People who think the arts were completely killed in the Soviet Union aren't entirely correct.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                Yeah, I mean the traditional monarchies were fairly okay - maybe it's the precence of a secret police that tends to stigmatise and scare off good artists?.
                You think traditional monarchies never had secret police?

How could we forget these people?

And I think even the French had secret police before the revolution, though not nearly that extensively - no link, i member reading in Charles Tilly somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                  People who think the arts were completely killed in the Soviet Union aren't entirely correct.

Do you have an oppinion on Neo Rauch?
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

define dictatorship.
                    After that, define "****ed up"

the art produced by third reich was much more talented than the one produced by weimar republic

Comment

Difficult to objectively compare the artistic merit of productions from two different eras... but the Weimar Republic still saw the rise of German expressionism in cinema, for instance. This alone is a major artistic feat of the 20th century.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It's not so much that dictatorships are opposed to the arts. They're just opposed to the arts that don't match their own view.

Comment

Yeah, it's about censorship not outright opposition to all art.

Plato would censor all art that does not foster what he considers positive human traits. Hitler would censor art that does not glorify germany and his social order, and Stalin would censor art that does not follow social realism and glorify industry.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It can easily be argued that a lot of dictators have actually helped art.

As people have already pointed out dictators oppose some artists while encouraging others (very often more than those being restricted). It is also impossible to quantify which art is better.
                            Also artist always find a way to put their message through the censorship.
                            For Bulgaria for exmple I am sure that the "dictatorship era" movies will not be bettered in the next 50 years if ever.
                            Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              Difficult to objectively compare the artistic merit of productions from two different eras... but the Weimar Republic still saw the rise of German expressionism in cinema, for instance. This alone is a major artistic feat of the 20th century.
                              I rather suspect VJ isnt a fan of expressionism in any medium, or of Dadaism, or of Bauhaus architecture. Thats the only way I can make any sense of his post.

Comment

Working...
                              X