Mixed Martial Arts: What's the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Martial Arts: What's the best?

I'm nearly 30, and I've never been in a fight. Back in middle school bullies did pick on me, but it never came to blows. I don't know how I would do in a fight, though probably not very well. This makes me feel bad about myself so I''ve decided to remedy it. I'm going to start doing mixed martial arts, but I'm wondering what is the best one? I want to build my self esteem, and know that I can handle my own if I ever run into trouble. Does anyone here do martial arts? If so I would like your recommendations.

I went to a Krav Maga demonstration tonight, and it was awesome. The instructor could have probably broken both of my arms, my knees, and my neck in probably 90 seconds. So I'm leaning towards it; however, the classes are expensive. Should I do it, or should I look somewhere else?

"Mixed Martial Arts" is a barbarous "sport" that should be outlawed.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

You're nearly 30 and looking for MMA to increase your self-esteem? It isn't going to happen, it won't transform you into a LadyShagging Jedi Master overnight......

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
        "Mixed Martial Arts" is a barbarous "sport" that should be outlawed.
        If the participants are willing then I don't see the problem.

Comment

It is nothing more than modern gladiatorial fights, except that it warps the minds of children (especially teenage boys) toward violence and destruction

Comment

Well you got some terms mixed up. MMA is self explaining, it's a mix of stuff. It is, when it comes to sanctioned fighting, the most real deal.

Krav Maga is a bit different from that. But it's different from MMA in many ways. For self defense purposes both are great. For athletic and as a sport, MMA is better. In Krav Maga though, you can learn weapon techniques etc, something you can't in MMA.

OK take this for an instance, what you see in UFC is MMA. What you saw in Krav Maga demo was Krav Maga.

But if you want to roll more, exchange some blows, MMA would more likely suit you better. I mean, you can't hardly go at it in Krav Maga for real, trying to kick each others nuts into oblivion etc. You can't go for the eyes, adam's apple etc and practice that any further.

So MMA gives you more .. practice that goes closer to what they do. That means you can go more at it, because it's not that dangerous. In a street fight situation, I wouldn't give neither one preference except if you are facing weapons, then MMA is as good as giving you cardio to run.

MMA is trained in.. most gyms that have this would not give you different styles anymore. Today, people just go at it as 'one style' rather than many different combined. SO that's fairly easy to do. It's easy to begin, you can find beginners classes and it's not like they will kill you

If I wanted to defend my life, I'd choose Krav Maga. If I wanted to do some scrapping and rough up a bit, have a hobby and learn to fight, I'd do MMA. You're still young enough to not have any problems and it won't be too hard of a landing. Most peopel are little bit afraid to go sine they think they'll get themselves hurt but this is a myth mostly. It's more like fun and stuff.

One thing you learn when you can train MMA with others and good instructor is what you can do and it's important to realize first of all that what it's like to roll a little. You quickly realize that you are not afraid, you wonder why you thought it woudl be worse than what it really was, and in fact you wonder why you are enjoying it so much. You learn about stuff in a more realistic way, meaning that you gain some self confidence but in aw ay where you knwo what you are capable of and what you aren't capable of. So it gives you a fair assesment of things.

It's also fairly easy to advance at first. In couple of months, you'll be able to 'fight correctly'. You know some basic stuff, it isn't difficult to learn, you just need to do it. Also, it can be one of the hardest things to do if you want to do it the hard way, meaning it's tough physically, very good for your body.

I'd say go for it, I have actually never heard of anyone complaining once they went to do it. And it's not filled with idiot meatheads. Usually it's good folks and no one is there to hurt anyone so relax and go for it.

So it depends what you want. If you are more interested in what you saw in the demo, then Krav Maga is for you.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Tass, I couldn't disagree more. It's not more barbaric than boxing, kickboxing or any other combat sports. It has had significantly less serious injuries in its history. Mainly because it doesn't focus on bashing someones face in, like boxing does.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Furthermore, doing MMA as a hobby is not barbaric at all. You're not going to fight anyone. It's the same as doing any combat sport as a hobby in a gym.

Besides, when it comes to violence, and if you should be so unfortunate to face threats and violence on the street, I'd rather be the modern day gladiator than the one who got his ass kicked. After of course the talking and walkign away failed that is.
                In da butt.

Comment

If it's Krav Maga in the same sense as what Krav Maga was when it was designed in Israel, it's exactly what you're looking for. Violent, messy, effective. Not really either martial or artistic, so the thread title is a bit misleading.

I presume you're going to learn to disable people with your hands only for an expensive ego-booster, though. If you're truly worried about your personal safety, learn to use a gun with the necessary amount of stopping power.

Comment

I think he was looking for something with physical aspect. He said he's never been hit so that's a question mark for him. In that sense I'd say MMA is the right way to go at it.

But if it's what VJ suggests, being able to use the effective things to disable opponents fast with no .. urges for anything more than that, then Krav Maga is possibly better.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      Tass, I couldn't disagree more. It's not more barbaric than boxing, kickboxing or any other combat sports.
                      That isn't saying much.

Comment

ok, that's fair enough. I guess if you consider boxing etc to be brutal and violent, well that's your view and there's lots of people who would agree with that.
                        In da butt.

Comment

I was just trying to troll you.

Comment

OK, but all I'm saying is there's no... it's a matter of perspective. If you think it's violent and all that, you certainly have the right to think so and it's not the most outrageous claim ever made. At the very core, people are beating each other so it would be ridiculous to say there's no violent aspect at all in it. Of course there is. I do think that there's a great difference between violence, that is unacceptable and sports though. What we feel is a sport and what is not, we might disagree. But I certainly see that argument and it's not unfounded, I just feel differently about it myself.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Re: Mixed Martial Arts: What's the best?

Originally posted by korn469
                              I went to a Krav Maga demonstration tonight, and it was awesome. The instructor could have probably broken both of my arms, my knees, and my neck in probably 90 seconds. So I'm leaning towards it; however, the classes are expensive. Should I do it, or should I look somewhere else?
                              Krav Maga is horse****

Learn to box and to wrestle.

6 months of training in each of those and you'll be able to stand tall against most anybody who's not a trained fighter.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X