Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Jersey Supreme Court - Same Sex Couples have Same Rights as Heterosexual Couples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

Wasn't a serious comment
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Shiva, might I ask what India's laws on the matter are?
      Our laws on this are quite regressive , most of them carryovers from British laws of the 1800s and early 1900s ( nobody has bothered to revise them yet ) . But thankfully , there is a ( very low-key ) debate going on , and I hope that legislation allowing same-sex union will be passed soon .

The problem is , the gay community is not large enough to provide a significant number of votes to any party , and because taking a stand ( either way ) on this issue will lose mainstream parties votes , the mainstream parties will all stay scrupulously clear of this and not say a word about it .

As for my stance on this - give them the ability to marry under the Special Marriages Act , just don't call the union a marriage , so that the perceived "sanctity" of marriage is preserved , but they still have the same rights as everyone else .

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
        Ok here's a question:

Mass recognizes gay marriage. So Paul and Steve get married.

Utah doesn't recognize the Mass gay marraige. Paul goes to Utah and marries Jill.

Mass, like every state in the union, recognizes heterosexual marriages performed in other states including Utah.

If Paul goes back to Mass can he be arrested for Polygamy? Can he be arrested for Polygamy in states that recognize a gay union but not marriage (ie. NJ)
        He probably can be arrested for polygamy in Massachusetts. And probably in NJ as well, as I'm sure that a civil union will have the same benefits and detriments of marriage (can you imagine the stink if civil unions had all the benefits but none of detriments of marriage?)
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
        X